Martin D. Abeloff; Led Johns Hopkins Cancer Center

By Patricia Sullivan
Washington Post Staff Write
Saturday, September 15, 2007

Martin D. Abeloff, 65, an international authority on the treatment of breast cancer and chief oncologist and director of the Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins University for the past 15 years, died of leukemia Sept. 14 at the center in Baltimore.

Dr. Abeloff specialized in solid-tumor research, treatment of lung and breast cancer, and the transfer of research findings from the laboratory to the clinic. While he served as leader of the Kimmel center, the number of faculty members doubled, its research funding increased sixfold and it consistently ranked among the nation's top three cancer centers.

In April, he appeared on Charlie Rose's PBS show during a series on science and urged colleagues not to overlook prevention as a way that medical science can address cancer. His work in screening for breast cancer risks transformed prevention efforts, colleagues said.

"Marty was that iconic Hopkins physician, scientist, educator, leader and good citizen rolled into one," said Edward D. Miller, dean and chief executive of Johns Hopkins Medicine.

Stephen Baylin, deputy director of the cancer center and a friend for more than 30 years, said: "What he didn't know, he took the time to learn. And with a combination of qualities best summarized as wisdom, he helped transform both the treatment of cancer and the way that Johns Hopkins delivers that care."

Baylin said that in addition to conducting research and managing the center, Dr. Abeloff treated patients and emphasized the importance of bringing the fruits of research to those who had cancer.

"The man was a tremendous practicing humanitarian. Every interaction he mediated, his humanity rang through," Baylin said.

Dr. Abeloff had a kind bedside manner, said Jacquelene L. Redmond, who discovered 17 years ago that she had breast cancer.

"I remember it like it was yesterday," she said. Frightened about her prospects, she and her husband met "this very tall, slender, bearded man in a white coat. Within just an hour and a half, our fears were calmed."

He didn't rush, she said, and "as we got ready to leave, he handed me a small piece of paper with his name and phone number on it. He joked that he did not have any business cards and said, 'If you have any questions or concerns, please call me.' If you look in my wallet today, 17 years later, you will find that small piece of paper is still there."

Because of the care she received, she went to work as a fundraiser in the hospital's neurology department.

"There wasn't anything I wouldn't do for him. I'm here today because of him," Redmond said.

CONTINUED     1        >

© 2007 The Washington Post Company