After Steroid Admission, Jones Returns Olympic Medals

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Her reputation is gone and now so are Marion Jones's Olympic medals.

Jones gave back the five medals yesterday that she won at the Sydney Olympics and agreed to forfeit all other results dating from Sept. 1, 2000, further punishment for her admission that she was a drug cheat.

The three gold medals and two bronzes were turned over to U.S. Olympic Committee and U.S. Anti-Doping Agency officials at her attorneys' office in Austin.

They are en route to USOC headquarters in Colorado Springs, and the USOC will return them to the International Olympic Committee.

Jones won golds in the 100 and 200 meters, as well as the 1,600 relay. She won bronzes in the 400 relay and the long jump.

It will be up to the IOC to decide what to do with the medals and whether to vacate Jones's results from Sydney -- which could cost her relay teammates medals, too.

USOC chief executive Jim Scherr and USOC Chairman Peter Ueberroth both said they would support the IOC nullifying the relay results, and encouraged the other Americans to give back their medals.

Jones pleaded guilty Friday to lying to federal investigators about using steroids, saying she'd taken designer steroid "the clear" from September 2000 to July 2001.

"The clear" has been linked to Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative, the center of the steroid scandal in professional sports.

After Friday's court hearing, Jones announced her retirement, but yesterday she accepted a two-year ban.

Her 100-meter win and long jump bronze medal at the 1999 world championships will stand.

¿ COLLEGE FOOTBALL: Wisconsin wide receiver Luke Swan will miss the rest of the season because of a torn hamstring and is scheduled for surgery tomorrow.

Swan's loss is a blow to the Badgers (5-1, 2-1 Big Ten) following the team's first defeat of the season against Illinois. Freshman punt returner David Gilreath is expected to replace Swan at wide receiver.

¿ HOCKEY: New York Rangers forward Sean Avery will be out two to four weeks after separating his left shoulder during a loss at the Ottawa Senators.

¿ RUNNING: An autopsy showed a heart condition, not record-setting heat, killed a Michigan police officer who died during an unusually hot and humid Chicago Marathon.

Chad Schieber, who collapsed while running on the city's South Side, had a mitral valve prolapse and did not die from the heat, the medical examiner's office said yesterday.

Schieber, 35, was pronounced dead shortly before 1 p.m. Sunday at a Chicago area hospital.

Several other people collapsed, and at least two remained in critical condition yesterday. Record heat and smothering humidity forced race organizers to shut down the course midway through the event.

¿ CYCLING: The T-Mobile team will skip the final two races of the season because of doping cases that resulted in the firing of two team members.

T-Mobile's anti-doping charter calls for the team to suspend racing if its riders fail drug tests.

¿ HORSE RACING: Thoroughbred great John Henry, two-time horse of the year who earned more than $6.5 million before retiring, was euthanized yesterday at Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington. He was 32.

He was retired 22 years ago to the park, where he was beloved by the public and, along with stablemate Cigar, one of the park's biggest attractions.

-- From News Services

View all comments that have been posted about this article.

© 2007 The Washington Post Company