Tuesday, November 6, 2007
Warning signs of mental illness:
* Finding little or no pleasure in life
* Feeling worthless or extremely guilty
* Crying a lot for no particular reason
* Withdrawing from other people
* Experiencing severe anxiety, panic or fear
* Having very low energy
* Losing interest in hobbies and pleasurable activities
* Having too much energy, having trouble concentrating or following through on plans
* Feeling easily irritated or angry
* Experiencing racing thoughts or agitation
* Hearing voices or seeing images that other people do not experience
* Believing that others are plotting against you
* Wanting to harm yourself or someone else
SOURCE: National Mental Health Awareness Campaign
College students who think they or someone they know may be suffering from mental illness should contact their school's counseling center or call the suicide prevention hotline at 800-273-8255. If there is an immediate danger, call 911.
For help finding counseling, Active Minds recommends these Web sites:
* Half of Us. http://www.halfofus.com/FindHelpNow.aspx.
* Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance, nonprofit group offering education and support. http://www.dbsalliance.org.
* Findcounseling.com, therapist-locator site. http://www.findcounseling.com.
* More info on Active Minds: http://www.activemindsoncampus.org.
-- Michael S. Gerber