Taylor's Injury Leaves Redskins' Secondary Defenseless

By Jason Reid and Jason La Canfora
Washington Post Staff Writers
Monday, November 12, 2007

Safety Sean Taylor sprained his knee in the Washington Redskins' 33-25 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles yesterday at FedEx Field. Taylor, who left the field late in the third quarter and did not return, is scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today, a team spokesman said.

Without Taylor, who leads the team with five interceptions, the secondary struggled in the fourth quarter as the Eagles outscored Washington 20-10. Quarterback Donovan McNabb teamed with wide receiver Reggie Brown on a 45-yard touchdown pass with 10 minutes 35 seconds remaining in the game, helping the Eagles to pull to 22-20.

The Eagles had Brown bracketed in double coverage as he sprinted in the middle of the field, but middle linebacker London Fletcher slipped and Pierson Prioleau, filling in for Taylor, lost track of the ball in the air.

Taylor told Gregg Williams, assistant head coach-defense, that he did not expect to be out long, Williams said.

"Hopefully, Sean will be fine," cornerback Shawn Springs said. "He looked like he'll be fine. I wouldn't doubt that he'll be right back out there."

Daniels Feels Woozy

Defensive end Phillip Daniels missed portions of the game but said he did not believe he had suffered a concussion. The NFL has enacted stringent guidelines to prevent players from coming back too soon from head injuries this season, and Daniels said he did some cognitive tests during the game, and hopes he is just suffering from the flu or other illness. Team medical personnel believe Daniels suffered from flu-like symptoms, a team spokesman said.

"Every time I hit somebody, I got dizzy. I don't know what was going on," Daniels said. "I remember everything that happened and I did the months backwards and all the stuff they were asking me on the sidelines. They were making sure. My body felt great, it's just every time I hit something I had blurred vision. I don't know if I'm coming down with something, but all the food I ate this morning came right back up at halftime. Just one of those days."

Moss, Washington Still Ailing

Wide receiver Santana Moss and linebacker Marcus Washington were inactive because of injuries. Moss, who was listed as questionable, missed practice last week after hurting his heel against the New York Jets. Moss's heel was sore in pregame warmups, so the Redskins put him on the inactive list for the second time this season. Moss sat out the Oct. 7 victory over Detroit with a groin injury.

James Thrash, who started in place of Moss, suffered a high ankle sprain while playing on kickoff coverage in the fourth quarter. Thrash, who had to be helped off the field, had five catches for 85 yards with two touchdowns. He will be reevaluated today, a team spokesman said.

Washington, recovering slowly from a hamstring injury, has played in only one of the last five games. Although Washington participated in few drills, he increased his workload throughout the week and was listed as probable after having "a pretty good" practice Friday. Randall Godfrey again started at strong-side linebacker. Rookie pass-rush specialist Chris Wilson filled in for Washington as the rush end on third down. . . .

After aggravating a back injury against the Jets, defensive lineman Cornelius Griffin was back in the starting lineup and had four tackles and a sack. "It did what I needed it to do. It held up," Griffin said of his back.

© 2007 The Washington Post Company