The Associated Press
Monday, November 26, 2007 6:49 PM
Among the most contentious issues between Israelis and Palestinians:
BORDERS OF A PALESTINIAN STATE
* Palestinians want complete Israeli withdrawal from the West Bank.
* Israel wants 1949 cease-fire line changed to include main West Bank settlements.
* Possible solution: Modification of the cease-fire line and compensation by giving Palestinians some Israeli territory.
* Palestinians want east Jerusalem, including the Old City, as capital of their state.
* Israel has annexed east Jerusalem and offers control of some Arab neighborhoods.
* Possible solution: Sharing control of the city.
* Palestinians demand the right of return for refugees and descendants of 1948-49 war.
* Israel believes refugees must be resettled in the new Palestinian state or where they now reside.
* Possible solution: Compensation for most, while allowing a token number to live in Israel.
WEST BANK JEWISH SETTLEMENTS
* Palestinians demand all Jewish West Bank settlements to be dismantled.
* Israel wants to keep main settlement blocs under its sovereignty.
* Possible solution: Israel gets its main West Bank settlements, Palestinians get part of Israeli land.