Sellers Insists: 'I'm Fine'

By Dan Steinberg
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, December 27, 2007

Washington Redskins fullback Mike Sellers played down the concussion he suffered early in the second half of Sunday's win over the Minnesota Vikings, saying that he never lost consciousness, that he felt healthy enough to reenter the game and that the injury would not limit him during preparations for Sunday's game against the Dallas Cowboys.

"I'm fine," he said. "I'm fine, I'm playing, that's all."

Sellers, who was injured on the opening kickoff of the second half, said he did not know about the league rule prohibiting players from reentering games after receiving a concussion diagnosis.

Head injuries have received greater scrutiny in recent months -- the NFL mandated that team doctors from every franchise attend a summit on concussions last June -- but Sellers said it was the first concussion diagnosis of his career, and that he felt no aftereffects the following morning.

Teammates said the fullback was lucid on the sidelines -- "They asked him where his address was, he stated his address and everything," Ladell Betts said -- and Sellers said reports of his helmet being hidden to keep him from checking back in were not exaggerations.

"He was kind of in denial," tackle Todd Wade joked. "He was in denial that he took a lick."

Linebacker Khary Campbell, meantime, dislocated the ring finger on his right hand while blocking at the line of scrimmage during a first-quarter punt on Sunday.

When he looked down, he said, his finger was "sitting sidewise." Campbell ran downfield in coverage, hoping one of his teammates would make the tackle, but returner Mewelde Moore bounced outside and Campbell wound up making the stop on the play; "it was a body tackle," he said with a laugh.

His finger was reset and taped on the sideline, but it "kind of came out again" during a later defensive series. He said it was "triple-taped" by the end of the game, but that he would be fine for Sunday.

Tight end Todd Yoder (knee) and offensive lineman Mike Pucillo (back) remain the biggest question marks this week. Coach Joe Gibbs said Pucillo was "not looking very good," but remained hopeful that Yoder would return.

The team held a walk-through yesterday and will have a full practice today. Quarterback Jason Campbell, still recuperating from his dislocated kneecap, threw the ball briefly on the side during the walk-through; "he's better and better," Gibbs said.

Another Way In

Even with a loss to Dallas, the Redskins could advance to the playoffs if New Orleans and Minnesota lose road games on Sunday. The Saints play at Chicago in a 1 p.m. start; the Vikings' game at Denver will, like Washington's game, begin at 4:15. But Gibbs said it had not occurred to him to monitor those scores.

"If we don't do it ourselves, we're going to be in real trouble," he said. "You've got to figure if we can't get this game, then we're not going anywhere."

View all comments that have been posted about this article.

© 2007 The Washington Post Company