Saturday, January 5, 2008

Joseph Baker Knotts Jr.Lawyer

Joseph Baker Knotts Jr., 69, a lawyer who specialized in nuclear power licensing, regulation and enforcement, died of a heart attack Dec. 18 at Inova Loudoun Hospital's Cornwall campus in Leesburg. He lived in Purcellville.

Mr. Knotts worked for the old Atomic Energy Commission in the office of its general counsel in the 1960s and early 1970s. He then joined several private law firms before forming his own, Conner and Knotts, in 1973. After four years, he moved to Debevoise and Liberman and established its nuclear energy practice. He retired in 2003 from Winston & Strawn.

He represented Duke Power in a 1978 Supreme Court case, Duke Power Co. v. Carolina Environmental Study Group. He also advised the Presidential Commission on Catastrophic Nuclear Accidents, wrote for the American Nuclear Society and contributed to other seminal Supreme Court decisions on nuclear power law.

Mr. Knotts was born in Baltimore and graduated from Princeton University. He received a law degree from Harvard University in 1963.

He was an avid sportsman who won awards in trapshooting and skeet shooting.

His marriage to Judy Knotts ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Wendy Knotts of Purcellville; two children from his first marriage, Joe Knotts of Manassas and Chris Knotts of Austin; two stepchildren, Karen Crossen of Atlanta and Robert Lindquist of Fairfax County; and six grandchildren.

-- Patricia Sullivan

Howard L. HillAgriculture Economist

Howard Lyle Hill, 79, an agricultural economist, died Dec. 25 of complications following a stroke at the health facility at Greensprings Village in Springfield.

Dr. Hill worked for the Economic Research Service at the U.S. Department of Agriculture for more than 20 years. As a senior member of the Large Area Crop Inventory Experiment, he used NASA satellites to estimate crop yields in grain-producing countries such as the former Soviet Union and China. He also participated in an agricultural science exchange program with Soviet scientists.

Born in Wessington, S.D., he graduated from what is now South Dakota State University and received a doctoral degree in agricultural economics from the University of Wisconsin in 1957. He served in the Army in the Korean War and received the Bronze Star.

He worked for the USDA in Washington from 1957 to 1980. The last 10 years of his career were spent at the Department of Commerce. He retired in 1990.

He grew a wide variety of vegetables in his garden, and for several years he expanded into dahlias and joined a local club devoted to the flower. He also volunteered with the Committee to Help Others in Vienna. He enjoyed writing stories about his life, visiting state capitols, and folk and square dancing.

A member of the Emmaus United Church of Christ in Vienna since 1966, he was a past member of its board of deacons. He lived in Vienna for 40 years and moved to Greensprings Village in Springfield shortly after its opening. He was a past president of its woodshop club.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, Marilyn B. Hill of Springfield; three children, Keith Hill of Fairfax, Kristine Shelhorse of Ruther Glen, Va., and Lisa Wilson of Dayton, Va.; a brother; a sister; and four grandchildren.

-- Patricia Sullivan

Alexandre KafkaIMF Executive Director

Alexandre Kafka, 90, who between 1966 and 1998 was the executive director at the International Monetary Fund representing Brazil and eight other Latin American countries, died Nov. 28 of Alzheimer's disease of Sibley Memorial Hospital. He was a Washington resident.

Mr. Kafka, who was known for his intellectual prowess and keen wit, was a professor of economics at the University of Virginia in the 1960s.

After being elected executive director at the IMF in 1966, Mr. Kafka represented Brazil, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Guyana, Haiti, Panama, Suriname and Trinidad and Tobago. In the early 1970s, he served as one of the four vice chairmen of the Committee of Twenty, which was responsible for reformulating the international monetary system and the regime of fixed exchange rates. He played a central role in representing the interests of Brazil during the 1980s debt crisis.

Mr. Kafka was born in Prague. His father, Bruno Kafka, was a member of parliament and a second cousin of author Franz Kafka. Mr. Kafka graduated from Balliol College at Oxford University with a degree in economics. With the advent of World War II, he immigrated to Brazil in 1940 and became a Brazilian citizen.

He began his professional career in Brazil by teaching economics at the School of Sociology and Politics in Sao Paolo. In 1944, he became economic adviser at the Federation of Industries of the State of Sao Paulo. Five years later, he moved to Washington and joined the staff of the IMF. He returned to Brazil in 1951 to organize the Brazilian Institute of Economics at the Getulio Vargas Foundation in Rio de Janeiro. He later was an adviser to Finance Minister Eugenio Gudin. In 1956, Mr. Kafka moved to New York, where he worked at the United Nations for five years.

Mr. Kafka received numerous honors. Upon his death, the Brazilian Central Bank issued a statement recognizing his work as central in the economic history of Brazil.

Mr. Kafka was a member of the Cosmos Club.

His wife of 59 years, Rita Petschek Kafka, died in 2006.

Survivors include two daughters, Doris Kafka of Chevy Chase and Barbara Kafka of Washington; and five grandchildren.

-- Yvonne Shinhoster Lamb

Marion H. AnthonyBoard Member

Marion H. Flower Anthony, 82, who served on the board of directors of the Air Force Village Foundation and was active in other organizations, died Nov. 29 at Emerald Health Care Center in Port St. Lucie, Fla. She had Lewy body disease and Alzheimer's.

She was born in Washington and spent 77 years in the area until her illness caused her to relocate to Florida in 2002.

During World War II, she worked for the Red Cross. After marriage, she worked for many years in retail jobs, including positions at the Lansburgh department store and the Hot Shoppes. In the 1960s, she co-managed the Roaring '20s nightclub on Pennsylvania Avenue.

For years, she was active in the Southwest Alumni Association and the D.C. Air National Guard Association. She loved dancing with her husband of 46 years, Thomas W. Anthony. He died in 1991.

Survivors include three children, Toni Lee Monaghan of Port St. Lucie, Fla., Thomas W. Anthony Jr. of Fair Oaks, Calif., and Christopher M. Anthony of Churchton; a sister; four grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

-- Yvonne Shinhoster Lamb

Leona Inez Tyler WagnerHomemaker, Volunteer

Leona Inez Tyler Wagner, 84, a homemaker and volunteer, died of congestive heart failure Dec. 26 at Asbury Solomons nursing home in Solomons, where she lived.

A native Washingtonian, she graduated from McKinley Technical High School in 1941 and worked briefly as a secretary at the Pentagon before marrying in 1942.

She volunteered with the Hospital Guild at Prince George's General Hospital and enjoyed needlepoint, traveling, reading, music and watching the Washington Redskins. She moved to Solomons in 1999.

Her husband of 60 years, Robert Bruce Wagner, died in 2001. Her daughters predeceased her: Carol Lea Tsirigotis in 1998 and Patricia Catherine Meyers in 2000.

Survivors include three granddaughters; and five great-grandchildren.

-- Patricia Sullivan

Grayson B. Marshall Sr.Teacher

Grayson B. Marshall Sr., 74, a retired D.C. teacher, died Dec. 28 of multiple organ failure at Providence Hospital. He lived in Temple Hills.

Mr. Marshall was born in Washington and was a 1951 graduate of Dunbar High School. He attended Lincoln University in Pennsylvania before serving in the Army during the Korean War.

He later worked for the National Archives and General Services Administration before graduating in 1969 from the old D.C. Teachers College.

Mr. Marshall taught at LaSalle Elementary School in Northeast Washington from 1969 until his retirement in 1994. He was primarily a sixth-grade teacher.

He was a member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc. and was past president of the Vanguard Social Club. He was a charter member and first president of the Prince George's County chapter of National Tots and Teens Inc. He was also a youth leader and coach with the Catholic Youth Organization.

He had lived in Temple Hills since 1972.

Survivors include his wife of 44 years, Marie Howell Marshall of Temple Hills; two children, Grayson B. Marshall Jr. of Jacksonville, Fla., and Terri L. Marshall of Lakenheath, England; two sisters, Marguerite Owens of Washington and Marilyn Bharat of Fort Washington; and four grandchildren.

-- Matt Schudel

Katherine V. BunchAccounting Technician

Katherine V. Bunch, 87, an accounting technician with the Defense and Transportation departments for 30 years, died Dec. 25 at Sunrise of McLean senior living community. She had dementia.

Mrs. Bunch was born in Wheatland, Pa., and graduated from the Sharon Business Institute. She moved to Washington in 1942 and began working for government agencies while also teaching at an Arthur Murray dance studio. After World War II, she returned to Pennsylvania and became a full-time homemaker.

She and her family moved to Falls Church in 1957. Mrs. Bunch received an associate's degree in accounting at the Washington School of Business. She worked for Defense, then Transportation before retiring in 1985.

Mrs. Bunch was a past officer of the Acacia chapter of the Eastern Star and was a member of the Falls Church Woman's Club, Toastmasters and Business and Professional Women. She also belonged to the Ladies Circle of the Resurrection Evangelical Lutheran Church in Arlington.

Her husband of 52 years, Samuel D. Bunch, died in 1999.

Survivors include four children, Sam Bunch of Gainesville, Linda Zuk of Sterling, Wayne Robert Bunch of Paeonian Springs and Debbie Sulkovsky of Herndon; two sisters; nine grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

-- Patricia Sullivan

Saul J. MindelPost Office Counsel

Saul J. Mindel, 96, who was an assistant general counsel for the U.S. Post Office before retiring in 1966, died Dec. 6 at his home in Leisure World in Silver Spring. He also was active in the local Jewish community for most of his adult life.

He was a founding father of the Montgomery Lodge of B'nai B'rith in the early 1940s and of the Montgomery County Jewish Community Center in 1948. He served terms as president of the Montgomery Lodge and of the National Capital Association of B'nai B'rith.

Mr. Mindel was born in Johnstown, Pa., where he recalled seeing Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show at a theater. He sat in the balcony from which Annie Oakley fired her rifle at targets onstage.

As a young boy, he moved to Washington with his family. In junior high school, he and a classmate, Bertha Babinski, first spied each other, and in high school they began dating. She was in the first graduation class of the new McKinley Tech High School in 1927, and Mr. Mindel graduated two years later. In 1931, they eloped to Annapolis and got married.

After high school, Mr. Mindel was awarded a scholarship to Strayer Business College and got a job at Southern Railway, which lasted 11 months. He then became a clerk and stenographer in the Postal Inspection Service of the Post Office. While employed there, he attended the National University School of Law (which later merged with George Washington University Law School) at night and graduated in 1933.

Part of Mr. Mindel's tenure was serving as stenographer to and member of the personal staff of Postmaster General James A. Farley for six years, until Farley resigned in 1940. Mr. Mindel then transferred to the Office of the Solicitor of the Post Office.

He specialized in the laws that applied to mailing materials such as lotteries, raffles and sweepstakes and those that were considered, at the time, to be obscene, including his most well-known case, involving D.H. Lawrence's explicit "Lady Chatterley's Lover."

In retirement, Mr. Mindel continued his work as a lawyer and was a consultant to two private companies. He and his wife enjoyed several trips to Europe. One of their fondest memories was being served in Alfredo's Restaurant in Rome by Alfredo himself, the namesake of fettuccine Alfredo.

He also was very active in the Leisure World chapter of the Lion's Club for many years.

His wife, Bertha Mindel, died in March. They had celebrated their 75th wedding anniversary Dec. 26, 2006.

Survivors include two sons, Larry Mindel of Waunakee, Wis., and Roger Mindel of Silver Spring; and three grandchildren.

-- Yvonne Shinhoster Lamb

Halsey William HeslopUnited Methodist Minister

Halsey William Heslop, 70, a United Methodist minister for more than 40 years, died of congestive heart failure Dec. 29 at his home in Ocean Pines, Md.

In the early 1960s, Rev. Heslop helped launch the first Head Start program in Southern Maryland. Dedicated to the importance of civil rights, he participated in the Selma-to-Montgomery voting rights march in Alabama as well as the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom in 1963.

By 1968, Rev. Heslop was pastor of Gaithersburg's predominantly white McDonald and Hunting Hill Methodist Episcopal churches, which merged into a single church under his leadership. At the same time, he was also pastor of the predominantly African American Pleasant View Methodist Episcopal Church, a church that merged with the previous two to become Fairhaven United Methodist Church in Gaithersburg .

Rev. Heslop spent four years in Florida before returning to Maryland to work for nine years at Patapsco United Methodist Church in Baltimore. His last post was at Good Shepherd United Methodist Church in Silver Spring, which he left in 1996 because of disability and from which he retired in 2002.

A native Washingtonian, he graduated from Northwestern High School in Prince George's County, the University of Maryland and Wesley Theological Seminary, where he received a master's degree in divinity in 1965.

Rev. Heslop began working as a minister in 1957 at Methodist churches in Parkwood and Edgewater in Maryland. He became associate minister in 1965 at Foundry Methodist Church in Washington.

In retirement, Rev. Heslop volunteered with Touch the Earth Travel, a small company that sent mission groups to Africa. He also enjoyed cooking, wine collecting and gardening.

His marriage to Patricia Sampson Venable ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 25 years, Ann Wilson Heslop of Ocean Pines; three sons from his first marriage, Stephen Heslop of Linthicum, Mark Heslop of Waldorf and Robert Heslop of Kingsville, Md.; two stepsons, Tom Newby of Atherton, Calif., and Jeffrey Newby of Olney; and six grandchildren.

-- Patricia Sullivan

© 2008 The Washington Post Company