Timeline of Contacts

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Banita Jacks and her four daughters had contact with five city agencies over a year and a half. Here is a city government timeline of the encounters:

December 2005 to April 2006-- Jacks, Nathaniel Fogle Jr. and the four girls live in the city's hypothermia shelter. In January, the girls of school age are enrolled in public schools. The family applies for housing assistance, food stamps and Medicaid.

July 2006-- The Child and Family Services Agency learns that Fogle, against medical orders, has left a hospital where he was being treated for leukemia. Both parents are said to have substance abuse issues, and the family is living in a van. Lacking an address, CFSA does not follow up.

August to October 2006-- Brittany, Aja and Tatianna are enrolled at charter schools, and all four children are seen by Department of Health officials.

November 2006-- The family's food stamp benefits are terminated for failure to provide requested information.

Jan. 14, 2007-- Banita Jacks is arrested for driving an unregistered vehicle and improper use of tags.

Feb. 19-- Nathanial Fogle dies in a hospice. Two weeks later, Brittany stops attending school.

March 21-- Tatianna, N'Kiah and Aja are withdrawn from Meridian Public Charter School.

April 27-- A social worker at Booker T. Washington Public Charter School reports to CFSA that Brittany has missed 33 days of school. The social worker tries to visit the home, but Jacks won't let her in.

April 28-- A CFSA social worker goes to Jacks's home, but nobody answers. The social worker leaves a note asking Jacks to call.

April 30-- The school social worker visits the Jacks home again and speaks with Banita Jacks, who refuses to let her in. The social worker calls CFSA to report that the mother has mental health problems and might be holding Brittany hostage. She also summons police, who see the children and say they appear healthy. Jacks bars police from entering without a warrant.

May 1-- A CFSA social worker, along with police, knocks on the door, but no one answers.

May 2-- The CFSA social worker tries to contact Jacks, but no one answers.

May 4-- Police contact the Penn Attendance Intervention Center and asks officials to intervene.

May 11-- The CFSA social worker asks the CFSA Diligent Search Office to locate the Jacks family. It reports five days later that she has a relative in Waldorf. The social worker writes to Charles County and is told that officials are unable to locate Jacks.

May 16-- CFSA closes the case, believing the family has moved out of the jurisdiction.

June 14-- Charles County writes CFSA saying it still cannot locate the family.

© 2008 The Washington Post Company