Events Surrounding the Case of 1st Lt. Elizabeth Whiteside

Wednesday, January 30, 2008; 2:19 PM

2001: Elizabeth Whiteside graduates as valedictorian from James Madison High School in Vienna, Va. Enlists in Army Reserve.

2001-2005: Joins ROTC while studying economics at the University of Virginia.

2005: Commissioned as an officer. In her first assignment she serves as an executive officer of a support company at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Fall 2006: Leaves to serve in Iraq. She supervises medics working the night shift at the Camp Cropper detainee prison near the Baghdad International Airport.

Dec. 30, 2006: Organizes a response to inmate riots at the prison when Saddam Hussein was removed for his execution.

Dec. 31, 2006-Jan. 1, 2007: Whiteside is found sitting on her bed, mumbling and visibly upset. Later she threatens mental health nurses at the prison with an M9 pistol, firing twice into the ceiling. When she saw armed soldiers coming her way in response to the commotion, she slammed the door and fired a shot into her stomach.

Early January 2007: Arrives at Walter Reed after shooting herself.

February 2007: Moves to the hospital's lockdown psychiatric unit, Ward 54, where she is diagnosed with a severe major depressive disorder and a personality disorder.

Late March 2007: Whiteside is released from Ward 54.

April 2007: Criminal charges brought against Whiteside. Accusations included assault on a superior commissioned officer, aggravated assault, kidnapping, reckless endangerment, wrongful discharge of a firearm, communication of a threat and two attempts of intentional self-injury without intent to avoid service.

Early August: Whiteside requests permission to resign.

Fall 2007: The commander of the U.S. Army Military District of Washington, Maj. Gen. Richard J. Rowe Jr. accepts Whiteside's resignation with a "general under honorable conditions" discharge that would still deprive her of most benefits.

Late November 2007: Whiteside's preliminary hearing.

Dec. 10, 2007: An Army hearing officer recommends that Whiteside not face a court-martial or other administrative punishment. Whiteside asks that her letter of resignation be withdrawn.

Jan. 29, 2008: Whiteside is taken to the emergency room after she swallows dozens of psychotropic pills.

© 2008 The Washington Post Company