Friday, February 1, 2008

Joy I. TodChurch Member

Joy Ismond Tod, 101, a founding member of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Arlington County, where she played piano, died Jan. 2 at Inova Alexandria Hospital after a heart attack.

Mrs. Tod, a longtime Arlington resident, had spent the past decade at Goodwin House Baileys Crossroads in Falls Church.

She was born in Chicago and graduated from Northwestern University. She was a captain in the Women's Army Corps during World War II.

Her husband of 48 years, retired Army Lt. Col. Carrel I. Tod, died in 1997. A daughter, Barbara Evans, died in 1972.

Survivors include a daughter, Susan Reichenbacher of Manassas; six grandchildren; 14 great-grandchildren; and nine great-great-grandchildren.

-- Adam Bernstein

Walter A. Douglass Sr.Air Force Colonel

Walter Alexander Douglass Sr., 86, a retired Air Force colonel, died of congestive heart failure Jan. 4 at Sun Health La Loma hospice in Litchfield Park, Ariz.

Col. Douglass lived at Fort Myer and in Springfield in the 1950s and in Bowie for 12 years until 1970. He then moved to Illinois, retired from the Air Force and settled in Arizona.

A native of Dallas, he joined the Army Air Forces during World War II and was a P-51 fighter pilot. Shot down on D-Day, he was taken prisoner. He was liberated almost a year later, April 29, 1945, by Army forces under the command of Gen. George S. Patton.

He transferred to the Air Force when it was formed and flew in the military airlift and air intelligence commands, with assignments in Washington, Florida, Hawaii and Japan. At Andrews Air Force Base, he was with the 89th Airlift Wing's Special Air Mission as director of personnel in the presidential wing. At the Pentagon, he was group commander for military personnel in the CIA's Directorate of Intelligence.

Among his awards were two Legions of Merit and the Air Medal.

In Bowie, he was a member of the Christian Community Presbyterian Church.

Survivors include his wife of 64 years, Virginia Douglass of Litchfield Park; two children, Walter Douglass Jr. of Littleton, Colo., and Cheryl Bujac of Annapolis; three grandsons; and two great-grandsons.

-- Patricia Sullivan

Mary F. Davies-GerowFederal Writer, Editor

Mary F. Davies-Gerow, 90, a writer and editor for the Department of Labor, died after a heart attack Jan. 6 at Roper St. Francis Hospital in Charleston, S.C.

Mrs. Davies-Gerow worked for the department off and on from 1937 through 1974, sometimes part time, sometimes taking years off while she raised her children. At the department, she worked on the Manpower Report of the President, which is now the Employment and Training Report of the President.

She was born in Palestine, Tex., and moved to the District as a child, graduating from McKinley High School. She graduated from George Washington University in 1937, where she was president of her college sorority, Alpha Delta Pi.

Mrs. Davies-Gerow was a member of St. Luke Lutheran Church in Silver Spring, a volunteer for Lutheran Social Services and a member of the League of Women Voters. She moved to Lancaster, Va., in 1985 and was a member of Grace Episcopal Church in Kilmarnock.

Her husband of 52 years, John Wallace Davies, died in 1993. Her second husband, William Gerow, died in 2005.

Survivors include two daughters from her first marriage, Susan Benson of Charleston and Sara Gruber of Brookeville; and eight grandchildren.

-- Patricia Sullivan

Germ¿n E. Frami¿¿nArchitect, OAS Manager

Germ¿n E. Frami¿¿n, 82, an architect and development manager at the Organization of American States, died of lung cancer Jan. 3 at his home in McLean.

Mr. Frami¿¿n, an architect and professor in his native Buenos Aires, came to the Washington area in 1958, intending to spend only a year here to experience life in the United States at the suggestion of his new wife. He remained in Northern Virginia the rest of his life, becoming a citizen in 1991.

At the OAS, Mr. Frami¿¿n designed and managed social and technological development projects throughout Latin America and the Caribbean. Using his expertise in urban planning and architecture, he developed affordable housing for low-income areas and became a technical adviser on initiatives about education, science and culture. He was known as a passionate defender of just causes who cared deeply for Argentina and Latin America. He retired in 1985.

Mr. Frami¿¿n volunteered his expertise for dozens of interior design, residential renovation and architectural projects for friends and acquaintances. His sense of aesthetics was always evident in his dress, in his home and in his freely given opinions on taste and decorum. He enjoyed collecting art, attending events at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, and viewing exhibits at the Smithsonian Institution and other local venues. He also liked travel, entertaining friends and family, and gourmet cooking.

Mr. Frami¿¿n was born in Buenos Aires. He graduated from the University of Buenos Aires and received a master's degree in architecture and urban planning there in 1948. He became a full professor of architectural design at the school and ran a private practice.

Survivors include his wife of 49 years, Susana Frami¿¿n of McLean; three children, Pablo Frami¿¿n of Fredericksburg, Javier Frami¿¿n of Arlington and Maria Smith of Nashville; a sister; and six grandchildren.

-- Patricia Sullivan

Julia Brake JacksonPsychologist

Julia Brake Jackson, 78, a psychologist in private practice in the Washington area, died of lung cancer Jan. 1 at her daughter's home in Chevy Chase.

Ms. Jackson was born in Harrisburg, Pa., and grew up in Indianapolis, where she started out in community theater and radio. She married in 1948 and, as a young mother, had a successful radio show in Boston.

The family moved to Orono, Maine, in 1960 for her husband's job as an industrial psychologist, and there she hosted a television morning talk show called "The Women's Hour With Julia Brake." She graduated from Harvard in 1964.

Her husband, Maurie Edelstein, died in 1967. She then returned to Harvard and received a master's degree in education and psychology in 1971. She changed her last name to Jackson after her husband's death.

In 1972, she moved to Washington and practiced psychology for 35 years in the area. She provided pro bono counseling to many individuals and volunteered at Planned Parenthood. She had also lived in Silver Spring.

At age 73, Ms. Jackson began producing and hosting a weekly cable TV talk show in Montgomery County while continuing her psychology practice. She received a doctorate in 1997 from Delphi University and Spiritual Center in Georgia.

She was active in the Divine Science Church in Georgetown and served on the board of directors of the Harvard Club of Washington.

She was an accomplished potter, and she made jewelry. Her other interests included public speaking, reading and studying metaphysics.

Survivors include four daughters, Lee J. Long of Arlington, Julia J. Bellinger of Chevy Chase, Lois J. Boyd of Raleigh, N.C., and Lyn Jackson of Cary, N.C.; a brother; seven grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

-- Yvonne Shinhoster Lamb

Robert MasucciNIH Officer

Robert Maurice Rosario Masucci Sr., 83, former director of logistics at the National Institutes of Health, died of septic shock Jan. 2 at Johns Hopkins Medical Center in Baltimore.

Mr. Masucci worked for NIH from 1977 until he retired in 1990 and played a role in instituting the use of bar codes for all NIH supplies.

He was born in Rochester, N.Y., and served in the Army during World War II, based in the United States. After his discharge, he started a small newspaper in Rochester, the Veterans Chronicle, where he was editor and business manager.

Mr. Masucci graduated from Syracuse University in 1956, and worked at the Griffiss Air Force Base in Rome, N.Y., until he moved to Garrett Park in 1965. He worked first for the Navy as a contracting officer, then at the former federal Renegotiation Board as a financial analyst before joining NIH.

A member of Holy Cross Catholic Church in Garrett Park for 40 years, he was a lead fundraiser, Eucharistic minister, usher, lector, adult acolyte and chair of the capital campaign. He was named the church's 1994 volunteer of the year, and in 1998 received the archdiocesan Medal of Merit for Faithful Service. He also was a supporter of the Make-a-Wish Foundation.

Survivors include his wife of 57 years, Rose Fiore Masucci of Garrett Park; four children, Cynthia Kratz, Dr. Elaine Martin and Loretta Bonner, all of Garrett Park, and Robert Masucci of Potomac; and 16 grandchildren.

-- Patricia Sullivan

Lawrence S. HousePersonnel Management Specialist

Lawrence S. House, 80, a personnel management specialist for several federal agencies and a model train buff, died Jan. 25 of congestive heart failure at Holy Cross Hospital in Silver Spring.

Mr. House, a Silver Spring resident, was born in Ellicott City and graduated from McKinley High School in the District. Hoping to serve in the military during World War II, he lied about his age and managed to get into the Merchant Marine in 1945, serving in the Pacific. He also served in the Army during the Korean War.

After the war, he went to work as a personnel management specialist for several private companies and graduated in 1963 by attending night school at George Washington University.

He became a federal employee in the late 1950s, first with the Navy Department and later with the U.S. Agency for International Development and the General Services Administration. He retired in the late 1970s.

In retirement, Mr. House amassed one of the finest model train collections on the East Coast. An expert on antique toy trains, he was active for many years in the Train Collectors Association, serving as board member, vice president and president of the organization's eastern division. He was a member of the Antique Toy Collectors of America.

Mr. House enjoyed landscaping as well as reading and poetry.

His marriage to Edith House ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 46 years, Marie Terry House of Silver Spring; three children, Amy House Flood of Allen, Tex., Holly House Lincoln of Berkeley, Calif., and Michael C. House of Hershey, Pa.; and eight grandchildren.

-- Joe Holley

Eleanor P. HeldVolunteer

Eleanor P. Held, 87, a volunteer and H&R Block employee, died Jan. 24 at the Sunrise assisted living facility in Falls Church, where she lived. She had Alzheimer's disease.

Mrs. Held worked for the tax preparation firm from the mid- to the late 1970s. She volunteered with the Girl Scouts, her children's schools, Lewinsville Presbyterian Church in McLean and Inova Fairfax Hospital.

She was born in Dallas Township, Pa. She was a graduate of Bucknell Junior College and Bucknell University. She joined the Navy's Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service (WAVES) in World War II. She was sent to Smith and Radcliffe colleges as part of the V-12 program, which trained military officers. She was based at Lewisburg, Pa., for most of the war.

After her military service, she married and became a homemaker and volunteer. She had lived in the Washington area since 1950.

Her husband, Walter G. Held, died in 2002.

Survivors include three daughters, Gale A. Held of Kensington, Suzanne H. Podhorecki of Annandale and Barbara H. McGoldrick of Montgomery Village; and five grandchildren.

-- Patricia Sullivan

Johnnie Vernon Haselby Sr.Air Force Officer

Johnnie Vernon Haselby Sr., 88, a World War II pilot and retired Air Force lieutenant colonel, died Jan. 26 of pneumonia at Baltimore Washington Medical Center in Glen Burnie. He lived in Camp Springs.

Col. Haselby was born in Grass Creek, Ind. After high school, he worked as a dairy farmer for four years before pursuing his dream of flying. Volunteering as an aviation cadet for the Army Air Corps, he was commissioned a second lieutenant in 1942 and assigned to the 33rd Fighter Group. He flew P-40 Warhawk fighters.

During World War II, he served with the 37th Fighter Squadron in North Africa and received the Distinguished Flying Cross with seven oak-leaf clusters and the Purple Heart. He returned to the United States in 1943 and served as an instructor in the P-47 Thunderbolt, preparing pilots for duty with the Eighth Air Force in Europe.

During a 26-year career in the Air Force, Col. Haselby was assigned to a variety of training and recruiting positions at bases in the United States. He was also stationed at Kadena Air Base on Okinawa and Rhein-Main Air Base in Frankfurt, Germany, where he was vice air commander of the military postal system. In addition to the two fighter planes, he flew the C-47 Dakota and the F-86 Sabre jet.

After retiring in 1967, he owned and operated a Radio Shack in Bowie. After retiring again in 1979, he volunteered as a tax aide for the AARP. He was an avid reader.

A daughter, Cheryl Blunt, died in 2005.

Survivors include his wife of 64 years, Marjorie Haselby of Gambrills; two children, Barbara Lynard of Crofton and John Haselby Jr. of Arlington County; two sisters; a brother; six grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

-- Joe Holley

Clare WrightHomemaker

Clare Marie Gabriel Sibley Wright, 76, a homemaker and former Northern Virginia resident, died Jan. 19 of urosepsis at Halifax Medical Center in Daytona Beach, Fla.

Mrs. Wright was born in Arlington and graduated from Washington-Lee High School in 1949. She married shortly after high school and was a homemaker for many years. She was a Defense Department secretary from the late 1970s until she retired in 1988.

Mrs. Wright enjoyed silk flower arranging, bowling, gardening, refinishing furniture and shopping for antiques. She moved from Alexandria to Weems, Va., in 1998 and to Daytona Beach in 2006.

Her marriage to Richard K. Sibley ended in divorce.

An infant child, James Sibley, died in 1967. Her second husband, John W. Wright, died in 2004.

Survivors include three children from her first marriage, Linda Sibley of Daytona Beach, Michael Sibley of Chaska, Minn., and Susan Rubel of Lorton; four brothers; and five grandchildren.

-- Joe Holley

© 2008 The Washington Post Company