Start Flexing Those Marshmallow Muscles: It's Contest Time!
Last year, it was a sensation.
Our first Peeps Diorama Contest in April captured the hearts and minds of our newsroom, and our nation.
For those of you still reeling, we apologize.
For those of you who've quaked with anticipation since, your year-long wait is over. This serves as the first call for submissions to the second annual Peeps Diorama Contest.
We want you to make a diorama of a famous occurrence or scene. It can be a historical, current or future event, or it can be a nod to pop culture. The main rule is that all the characters must be played by Peeps, those marshmallowy chicks and rabbits that start plaguing checkout lines in every grocery and convenience store this time of year.
1. Think of a scene. Sketch some ideas. Extra credit may be given to deft use of puns in the concept or title. For inspiration, peruse the online gallery, which features a handful of the 350 submissions from 2007. (Examples include the always funny "Soylent Green is Peeps!")
2. Buy Peeps. They can be found at stores or raining from the sky at sunset as the snows of winter begin to melt.
3. Make your diorama using a shoe box or comparable item. Dress your Peeps as you see fit: Give them pipe-cleaner arms or jelly bean feet, for example. Embrace the mallow medium. If you don't know how to make a diorama, Google "how to make a diorama."
4. Take photos of your completed diorama from varying angles. E-mail no more than two of your best photos as high-resolution JPEG attachments to email@example.com. Put "Peeps" in the subject line. In the message, include your name, home town, daytime phone number, the title of the diorama and a brief description of its significance or creation. Contestants must be age 13 or older. If you are younger than 13, please have a parent, guardian or teacher submit your entry. The contest is open to anyone in the United States; the five finalists, however, must be residents of the District, Maryland or Virginia, and their dioramas must be transportable to our office by one person.
5. Photo submissions are due by 11:59 p.m. March 2, but keep your masterpieces intact. In the ensuing weeks, we'll pick five finalists and send a courier to pick up those dioramas to be professionally photographed. We will announce the winner and run photos of the finalists and a few semifinalists on Easter Sunday, March 23. And peace on Earth will reign.
6. Oh, right. Prizes. The winner will receive a $100 American Express gift check and a Peeps prize pack courtesy of Just Born, the company that owns the Peeps brand. Four runners-up will receive a $50 American Express gift check and a Peeps prize pack.
7. We have created a monster. For complete rules, see http:/