Where to Go, What to Know
Post travel writer Andrea Sachs drove to Western Maryland's Garrett County this month for some close-to-home dog sledding. Her reporter's notebook:
WHERE TO STAY
* The Casselman Inn (113 E. Main St., Grantsville, 301-895-5055, http:/
* LakeStar Lodge (2001 Deep Creek Dr., McHenry, 301-387-5596, http:/
* At the Haley Farm B&B Retreat Center (16766 Garrett Hwy., Oakland, 888-231-3276, http:/
WHERE TO EAT
* DC's Bar and Restaurant (296 Marsh Hill Rd., McHenry, 301-387-4911) creates elegant dishes just off Wisp's slopes. Have a cocktail in the fireplace-warmed bar, then head to the dining room for seared lamb with chutney ($24), pasta a la vodka ($17) or wasabi tuna ($20).
* For filling country food, Annie's Kitchen (414 S. Main St., Accident, 301-746-8578) prepares basket specials (e.g., fish and fries for $6.75), hot sandwiches with mashed potatoes and coleslaw ($7.75) and boarding house dinners (from $9.95).
* Santa Fe Grill (75 Visitors Center Dr., McHenry, 301-387-2182) does Tex-Mex right with nachos (from $5.95), chicken or steak fajita pizzas (from $8.25), mesquite specials (from $12.75) and more.
WHERE TO DOG SLED
* Husky Power Dogsledding (2008 Bumble Bee Rd., Accident, 301-746-7200, http:/
WHAT ELSE TO DO
* Get active: Hike or cross-country ski in Swallows Falls State Park or Savage River Greenways, boat or fish on Deep Creek Lake, ski at Wisp, etc.
* Take a $10 pony ride or $30 horseback trail ride at the Circle R Ranch (4151 Sand Flat Rd., Oakland, 301-387-6890, http:/
INFO: Garrett County Chamber of Commerce, 301-387-4386, http:/