Woman Is Charged With Murder After Husband Found Shot to Death

Marysusan Giguere has been jailed. Her mother-in-law said the couple had a
Marysusan Giguere has been jailed. Her mother-in-law said the couple had a "troubled relationship." (Fairfax County Police Department)
  Enlarge Photo    
By Daniela Deane
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, March 4, 2008

A 60-year-old Federal Highway Administration manager was found shot to death yesterday inside his two-story colonial home in Vienna, where a lengthy, angry diatribe against him was spelled out in white paint on his driveway, police said.

Ronald K. Giguere was found dead about 2 a.m. after Fairfax County police responded to a report of a domestic dispute. His wife, Marysusan Giguere, 52, was arrested later and charged with murder. She was being held at the county jail.

Law enforcement sources said Marysusan Giguere called police to the house in the 1400 block of Crowell Road, where she had spray-painted allegations against her husband on the driveway, including references to their sexual relationship.

Her husband, manager of the Professional Capacity Building Program at the FHA, had been shot in the upper body, police said. Police declined to say whether the couple's two sons, 12 and 14, were home at the time of the slaying.

Jeanne Giguere, the victim's mother, who lives in Florida, said she last spoke to her son a couple of weeks ago.

"They had a troubled relationship," she said of her son and daughter-in-law. "It was a lot of work for him." But she said he had not mentioned any specific problems when they spoke by phone. "He wasn't the type to complain much," she said.

Neighbors said the couple, who had lived in the house for decades, were known for taking in stray animals and caring for them.

Andrea Cooper, 57, a wine consultant who has lived on the same block as the couple for many years, recalled a time about five years ago when she called Marysusan Giguere for advice on what to do about a sick box turtle she had found. Cooper said the two women were able to save the turtle's life.

Cooper described the couple as helpful neighbors, always willing to lend a hand with gardening projects.

"We all were just flabbergasted, absolutely flabbergasted. It's very unsettling," said Cooper, who heard the sound of police helicopters overhead early yesterday and sirens up and down the quiet, wooded block off Hunter Mill Road.

With Ronald Giguere dead and his wife in jail, animal control officers moved the couple's animals -- including two horses, several goats and birds, seven dogs and two cats -- to the animal shelter, a process that took "several hours," Fairfax police spokeswoman Lucy Caldwell said.

The case remains under investigation, she said.

The Gigueres were engaged in 1978, according to an announcement in The Washington Post, which said that Ronald Giguere had a bachelor's degree in mathematics and a master's degree in civil engineering from Virginia Tech. Marysusan Giguere had a bachelor's degree in English and fine arts from Georgetown University.

"They were very nice people," said Carelton Cotting, 78, a retired contractor and neighbor. "He talked to me on occasion about building a barn similar to mine."

Cotting said the neighborhood was "feeling bad and wondering what's happening with the kids."

Staff writers Jonathan Mummolo and Tom Jackman and staff researcher Meg Smith contributed to this report.

© 2008 The Washington Post Company