Where to Go, What to Know
A couple of weeks ago, the Travel section's Scott Vogel traveled to Shepherdstown for a look at small-town life. His reporter's guide:
DRIVE TIME: About 1 hour from the Beltway
COST: $112.99 Hotel: $84.99 Entertainment: $28
GETTING THERE: Shepherdstown is about 62 miles from the Beltway. Take Interstate 495 to I-270 north. At Exit 32, merge onto I-70 west. At Exit 52, take U.S. 340 west toward Charles Town. Turn right on WV 230 (also known as Shepherdstown Pike) and follow until you reach the town.
WHERE TO STAY
* The Thomas Shepherd Inn (German and Duke streets, 888-889-8952, http:/
* The Bavarian Inn (164 Shepherd Grade Rd., 304-876-2551, http:/
* Other options include chain hotels such as the Comfort Inn (2001 Maddex Square Dr., 800-228-5150, http:/
WHERE TO EAT
* The undisputed queen of the breakfast trade is Betty's (112 E. German St.), which serves delicious, if ridiculously large, pancakes at reasonable prices ($1.79 apiece), along with other morning and lunch fare. It's a small place that fills up quickly on weekend mornings.
* Shaharazade's Exotic Tea Room (141 W. German St.) must be one of the few places where you can get belly-dancing with your chamomile. Check the Web site http:/
* Three restaurants were consistently rated outstanding by a random sampling of locals. First on everyone's list is the relatively new Press Room (129 W. German St.), which specializes in pasta dishes served in a chic setting. Try the spaghetti carbonara ($14). The Yellow Brick Bank (201 E. German St.) is also a favorite, thanks to such dishes as the grilled hanger steak with caramelized onions ($21). Three Onions (117 E. German St.) also rates high with residents, especially for its pan-seared sea scallops ($24).
WHAT TO DO
* The Shepherdstown Film Society ( http:/
* Works of more than 150 American artisans are featured at Dickinson and Wait (121 E. German St). And for an authentic trip in the wayback machine, you can't beat O'Hurley's General Store (205 E. Washington St.), where you'll find antiques of every shape and size.