Revolution Wins MLS Cup Rematch, 3-0

Associated Press
Sunday, March 30, 2008

Steve Ralston and Adam Cristman scored first-half goals yesterday as the New England Revolution opened the season with a 3-0 win over the visiting Dynamo in a rematch of the last two MLS Cup finals, both won by Houston.

Sainey Nyassi scored in stoppage time and Matt Reis earned the shutout as the Revolution extended their regular season unbeaten streak over Houston to five matches (2-0-3). The Dynamo, though, beat New England 2-1 in last year's championship match and 4-3 on penalty kicks after a 1-1 tie in 2006.

Ralston tapped in the rebound of Kenny Mansally's shot in the 15th minute. Cristman headed in a rebound of Jeff Larentowicz's drive in the 32nd minute.

Reis made a spectacular diving right-hand save on Houston's Stuart Holden in the 60th minute. On the ensuing corner kick, Nyassi cleared a drive by Ed Robinson off the goal line.

Cristman, a second-year striker who started 14 matches last season, was a late addition to New England's starting lineup, as Revolution career scoring leader Taylor Twellman was scratched with a knee injury.

¿ DYNAMO 4, GALAXY 0: Christian G¿mez scored on a penalty kick and Colorado beat David Beckham and Los Angeles in the season opener for both teams.

Beckham played in his first regular season game in Colorado since joining the Galaxy last year. Beckham flew back from Europe after playing for England against France on Wednesday.

Terry Cooke scored early in the game, Omar Cummings scored in the 67th minute and Colin Clark added an 80th minute goal for the Rapids.

Things got testy toward the end of the game. In the 90th minute, Galaxy defender Abel Xavier was issued a red card after tackling Ciaran O'Brien. Right after that, O'Brien's hard tackle on Carlos Ru¿z earned him a red card.

¿ CREW 2, TORONTO FC 0: Adam Moffat scored the first goal of the MLS season and Columbus won at home.

¿ FIRE 1, REAL SALT LAKE 1: Cuauht¿moc Blanco scored in the second minute of stoppage time to give Chicago the tie. Bakary Soumare's own goal in the 71st minute had given host Real Salt Lake a 1-0 lead.

View all comments that have been posted about this article.

© 2008 The Washington Post Company