We chose 10 specialty ingredients featured in some of our favorite Food section recipes and sought expert advice on other ways to use them, including ideas from our staff members and chefs Tony Conte of the Oval Room in Northwest Washington, Christophe Poteaux of Bastille in Alexandria and Joe Raffa of Oyamel in Penn Quarter.
The juice of pomegranates and sugar, reduced to a syrup that is fruity and sometimes quite tart.
Original Recipe: Duck Breast With Pomegranate Glaze (March 5, 2008)
- Add to champagne; garnish with fresh pomegranate seeds, if available.
- Make a vinaigrette with red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Use on a green salad or over summer berries.
- Drizzle over vanilla ice cream.
Whole lemons pickled in salt. They have a bright, acidic, salty bite.
Original Recipe: Tuna Confit With Black Olive Tapenade and Tomato Salsa (June 20, 2007)
- Slice thinly and serve with olives and pickles on a relish tray.
- Finely chop and combine with butter, roasted garlic and Parmesan cheese to toss over pasta.