Sunday, May 4, 2008
WHAT TO DO:
· Children's Museum of the Arts (182 Lafayette St., 212-274-0986, http://www.cmany.org) offers two floors of art stations where children can paint, sculpt, make collages and more. Admission: $9 for ages 1 to 65; pay as you wish on Thursdays from 4 to 6. There are also morning sessions for parents with children ages 10 months to 3 1/2 .
· Children's Museum of Manhattan (212 W. 83rd St., 212-721-1223, http://www.cmom.org) offers five floors of interactive exhibits and play areas geared toward children younger than 10. Admission: $9 for children and adults, $6 for seniors.
· Dylan's Candy Bar (1011 Third Ave. at 59th Street, 646-735-0078, http://www.dylanscandybar.com). Two floors of thousands of confectionary offerings.
· Guggenheim Museum (1071 Fifth Ave. at 89th Street, 212-423-3500, http://www.guggenheim.org). "Cai Guo-Qiang: I Want to Believe" runs through May 28. Admission: $18 for adults; free for children under 12; $15 for students and seniors.
· Heckscher Playground (Central Park, 212-639-9675, http://www.nycgovparks.org). A three-acre play area in the middle of the park, between 61st and 63rd streets. It's best for children 6 to 12 and open every day from 7:30 a.m. to dusk.
· Museum of American Finance (48 Wall St. at William Street, 212-908-4110, http://www.financialhistory.org). "A guardian of America's collective financial memory," says the museum's Web site, and one that includes exhibits devoted to the New York Stock Exchange, bank robbers, counterfeiting and other material of interest to children older than 6. Admission: $8 for adults; free for kids 6 and younger; $5 for students and seniors.
WHERE TO EAT:
· Kidfresh (1628 Second Ave., between 84th and 85th streets, 212-861-1141, http://www.kidfresh.com). A small grocery store that sells healthful foods for children and specializes in meals to go. Kidfresh foods can also be found at other markets throughout the city.
· Mars 2112 Restaurant and Bar (1633 Broadway at 51st Street, 212-582-2112, http://www.mars2112.com). A theme restaurant dedicated to all things Martian. Entrees from $11.95 to $19.95. A kids' meal package ($16.95) includes a $5 voucher for the arcade. -- S.V.