Rangers' Avery Is Released From Hospital

Monday, May 5, 2008

New York Rangers forward Sean Avery was released from the hospital yesterday morning, five days after he suffered a season-ending spleen injury in a playoff game. Avery was in intensive care at St. Vincent's Medical Center from the time he was admitted Tuesday night, shortly after New York's Game 3 loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins, until Saturday because of a lacerated spleen, Rangers spokesman John Rosasco said.

Avery, 28, is believed to have been injured during the early portion of Game 3.

· TENNIS: Rafael Nadal won his fourth straight Barcelona Open title with a 6-1, 4-6, 6-1 victory over second-seeded David Ferrer in the final.

Nadal won his 21st consecutive match at the tournament. He is 20-1 in clay-court finals.

Nadal moved to 6-3 against the fifth-ranked Ferrer, whom he beat on his way to a fourth straight trophy at Monte Carlo last week. The three-time French Open champion will go for a fourth straight Masters Series title in Rome, starting today.

Nadal took the lead from the first game with a break of Ferrer's serve.

· SOCCER: Real Madrid and Bayern Munich won their respective league titles despite less-than-stellar performances. Madrid needed two late goals to beat Osasuna, 2-1, in the Spanish league to win its record 31st title. Bayern won its 21st German title after a 0-0 tie at VfL Wolfsburg.

Inter Milan had a chance to win the Italian league title, but it lost to city rival AC Milan, 2-1.

· PRO FOOTBALL: Chicago Bears running back Cedric Benson was charged with failing a sobriety test while operating a 30-foot boat, then resisting arrest before being hit with pepper spray and dragged ashore by officers.

Benson faces charges of boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest after the incident Saturday night on Lake Travis, Tex. Benson was released from jail early yesterday on a $14,500 bond. A call to Benson's agent was not immediately returned.

"When Benson did not pass the test, he presented himself as a threat to the officer and argued about whether or not he would be taken to land to have a follow-up field sobriety test performed on land and refused to put on a life jacket," the Lower Colorado River Authority said in a statement.

· COLLEGE BASEBALL: An investigator with the Fulton County (Ga.) Medical Examiner's office said the Georgia Tech baseball player found dead in his apartment on April 11 died accidentally of morphine toxicity.

Pitcher Michael Hutts, 21, was a management major who was listed on Georgia Tech's dean's list last year.

Ryan Tinkoff, Hutts's teammate and roommate, told police he noticed Hutts's eyes were dilated before Tinkoff went to bed around midnight. Tinkoff said he entered Hutts's room about 1:30 p.m. the following day after Hutts did not respond to knocks on the door.

-- From News Services

View all comments that have been posted about this article.

© 2008 The Washington Post Company