Page 2 of 2   <      

17 Officers Fired for Misconduct Reinstated

Police Chief Cathy Lanier said she was forced to rehire the officers.
Police Chief Cathy Lanier said she was forced to rehire the officers. (Bill O'leary - The Washington Post)
  Enlarge Photo     Buy Photo

Officer Nicole Lindsey is among those back on duty. In 2004, records show, her supervisor turned down Lindsey's request for an afternoon off. So she falsely told him that she had donated blood that morning; under the rules, that got her four hours off. Lindsey told another supervisor that she couldn't accept an assignment because she had given blood that day, records show. The department recommended that she be fired but did not notify her within 55 days. Her firing was overturned last year.

In another case, a speed camera caught Officer Andre Powell driving over the limit in 2003. He reported to traffic court, testified that he was on official police business and submitted a form to the hearing examiner saying his statement was true. He was then interviewed by internal affairs officers and admitted that he lied and falsified the form, records show.

The department missed the 55-day deadline by nearly two months in Powell's case. His dismissal was overturned last year, and he was returned to the force in April.

Another officer, Tara Resper, returned to work in April because the department had taken too long -- 68 days -- to notify her of a decision. Resper was fired because, while off duty in 2003, she saw an off-duty officer get into three fistfights with another woman. She did not take police action or notify supervisors, officials said.

Officer Ariel Mannes was investigated in 2003 for retaliating against City Paper reporter Jason Cherkis, according to an arbitration filing. In police trial board proceedings, he admitted using his position as an officer to access Cherkis's personal records and posting the information on a law enforcement Web site. The board decided unanimously to fire Mannes that year, but the department took more than 55 days to notify him.

Lanier rehired him in November but then suspended him. The department is trying to dismiss him again because he was convicted of a weapons offense in the District during the time he was fired, records show.

Staff writer Clarence Williams contributed to this report.

<       2

© 2008 The Washington Post Company