One Dead After Powerful Storms

Residents begin to clean up following Wednesday's violent storm.
By Maria Glod, Tom Jackman and William Wan
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, June 5, 2008

A Fairfax County man was killed yesterday when swift-moving and violent thunderstorms swept through the Washington region, toppling trees and power lines and leaving hundreds of thousands of homes and businesses without power.

The Annandale area man was killed when a massive oak tree smashed into a white 1995 Toyota 4Runner on Hummer Road in Annandale just before 3:15 p.m., at the height of the first wave of storms, authorities said. Another Annandale area man, the driver, was injured.

The storms also knocked out power to hundreds of thousands of homes and businesses in the area, and continued outages prompted Montgomery and Prince George's county schools to close today. Officials with several other systems said they would make a decision this morning. Area utility companies said last night that they expected many outages to extend into late tomorrow.

In Bethesda, a tree fell on a car near Greentree and Fernwood roads, trapping the driver, a 40-year-old woman, who was rescued with minor injuries, authorities said. WRC (Channel 4) showed footage of a man being pulled from a car after a tree fell on it on River Road in Bethesda. He was unhurt.

The storms, with high winds and blinding rain, might have spawned small tornadoes in Falls Church; in Fairfax County; near Stafford, Va.; near Bel Alton, in Charles County; and near the Anne Arundel-Calvert county line. National Weather Service experts planned to survey damage and investigate tornado reports today.

With surprising speed, the storms burst into a warm, sunny afternoon and continued into the night. Dismissal was delayed at some schools in Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William and Charles counties so that children could be kept safely inside. On Capitol Hill, an afternoon congressional hearing was suspended, and everyone was urged to stay clear of the windows. Falls Church city employees were ordered into the City Hall basement after reports of the possible tornado.

Kristi Hellmuth had just picked up her daughter, Jordan, from Mount Vernon High School in Fairfax County, when the sky turned dark. They decided to forgo a stop to get cash for Jordan's yearbook payment, instead heading home to Mason Neck.

"Everything started blowing sideways, and immediately the traffic light blew out," Hellmuth said. "We're on this narrow, winding, tree-lined road. The trees were bent over touching the car, it was blowing so hard. I said, 'Jordan just pray nothing flies down and we can get home safely.' "

Carl Erickson, a meteorologist for AccuWeather, said the initial line of thunderstorms that moved across Northern Virginia, Maryland and the District produced punishing winds. At Andrews Air Force Base, gusts of up to 66 mph were reported, he said. At Dulles International Airport, winds whipped up to 59 mph.

"If you were driving, the rain came down so hard, visibility was down near zero," Erickson said.

The storms were moving so quickly, meteorologists said, that little rainfall was recorded.

Temperatures are forecast to climb into the 80s today with a chance of thunderstorms. The weekend could be in the 90s, with partly or mostly sunny skies.

CONTINUED     1        >

© 2008 The Washington Post Company