4 Pr. George's Teens Held in Fatal Beating

Aboubacar Camara was fatally injured in a May 28 attack.
Aboubacar Camara was fatally injured in a May 28 attack. (Family Photo)
  Enlarge Photo    
By Hamil R. Harris and Paul Duggan
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Four Prince George's County youths, ages 14 and 15, have been charged with first-degree murder after they "laid in wait" for a 56-year-old man, knocked him to the ground and kicked him so viciously that he died two days later, authorities said.

The victim of the May 28 assault, Aboubacar Camara, a West African immigrant, was robbed of his shoes and a pack of Marlboros, police said in announcing the arrests. The suspects, two boys and two girls, were charged as adults and are being held without bond, authorities said.

"It is a heinous crime, and we don't have the slightest idea why someone would commit such a terrible act," Prince George's School Superintendent John E. Deasy said of the attack, which occurred near the playground of Bladensburg Elementary School.

A spokesman for Deasy said the four youths were enrolled in schools in Prince George's, but he declined to say which ones, citing privacy concerns.

Deasy said the killing "just defies logic and understanding. It's just horrifying."

Homicide detectives said they arrested Regina R. Young-Bey and Justin E. McBride, both 15 and residents of an apartment complex in the 5300 block of Quincy Street in Bladensburg; Marcus L. Williams, 14, of the 3400 block of 55th Avenue in Bladensburg; and Calaisha L. Vaughn, 14, of the 5400 block of 56th Place in the Riverdale area.

Another school official said Young-Bey, McBride and Williams are ninth-graders; Vaughn's grade was unclear.

Court records show that the four have not been assigned attorneys. Relatives of each teen either declined to comment or could not be located.

While being questioned by detectives, the four "provided written confessions," according to a police affidavit filed in Prince George's District Court. The affidavit mentions no motive for the attack.

Saliou Diallo, president of the Guinea Community of Greater Washington, said Camara came to the United States from Guinea in 1994 after working administrative jobs at the Guinean embassies in Belgium, Italy and France. Although he studied finance at colleges in Europe, Camara worked in Prince George's as a laborer for a moving company, Diallo said.

Camara, who died May 30 at Prince George's Hospital Center, was unmarried and lived with a friend in a Landover apartment complex. He was to appear in court June 5 on a charge related to urinating in public, police said. He had no other criminal record.

"People come here for freedom, and they get killed," said Diallo, an uncle of Amadou Diallo, who was killed by New York police officers in a controversial 1999 shooting.

CONTINUED     1           >

© 2008 The Washington Post Company