Dangerous Wildfire Advances in California

A California National Guardsman prepares to join fight against fires.
A California National Guardsman prepares to join fight against fires. (By Ben Margot -- Associated Press)
  Enlarge Photo    
Friday, July 11, 2008

Dangerous Wildfire Advances in California

OROVILLE, Calif. -- Firefighters worked to keep flames from reaching more homes after a lightning-sparked wildfire advanced Thursday in the Sierra Nevada foothills of California.

The wildfire in Butte County destroyed at least 50 homes earlier in the week, mostly in Concow, and has sent as many as 10,000 residents fleeing. It continued burning through brush and trees, but no other homes were reported lost overnight, officials said Thursday.

"Things were looking good overnight," said Anne McLean, a spokeswoman for the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. "So far, so good."

Firefighters made their stand along the Feather River on the banks across from the city of Paradise, which is at risk if the winds shift and the blaze jumps the river. The fire threatens nearly 4,000 homes in Paradise, where last month a separate wildfire destroyed 74 homes.

Across the state, fire crews have strained to cover hundreds of wildfires that have burned nearly 1,100 square miles and destroyed nearly 100 homes since a lightning storm ignited most of them more than two weeks ago. About 1,460 fires had been contained, but more than 320 were still active, authorities said.

No to Labels for Seizure Drugs

Drugs used to treat epileptic seizures can raise suicide risks, but not enough to deserve the strongest warning labels available, a government panel of experts said. Advisers to the Food and Drug Administration voted 14 to 4 against adding a "black box" warning about the risks of suicidal tendencies to all anti-seizure drugs.

Woman Restored to 9/11 Toll

NEW YORK -- A doctor missing since the day before Sept. 11, 2001, was restored to the city's official death toll from the terrorist attacks, months after an appeals court declared there was no other plausible reason for her disappearance. The city medical examiner's office said Sneha Anne Philip, 31, was among 2,751 victims killed at the World Trade Center on Sept. 11. Philip had been cut from the list in 2004 by officials who said they couldn't definitively link her to the site because she didn't work there and disappeared a day earlier.


CONTINUED     1        >

© 2008 The Washington Post Company