The Bidens of Delaware Descend on Denver
Meet the Bidens! Grandpa Joe brought the entire clan to Denver yesterday, introducing its brand of Delaware bonhomie to the proceedings.
The Dems' No. 2, accompanied by wife, brother and three grown kids, bought pulled pork sandwiches and lemonade at a street vendor called Boney's Smokehouse, reports The Post's Perry Bacon. It was the first sighting of the tight-knit group, which has Sunday dinner together almost every week in Wilmington. By Thursday, nearly two dozen Bidens will be roaming the streets of Denver, including:
· Jill, his wife of 31 years, a community college English prof who was teaching as of last week (but don't think you'll be able to get her this semester).
· His mother, Jean, 91, who lives with the couple; known as "Mom-mom."
· Son Beau, 39, Delaware's attorney general, who's about to be deployed to Iraq; his wife, Hallie; kids Natalie, 4, and Robert Hunter, 2.
· Son Hunter, 38, a D.C. lawyer, and wife, Kathleen; their daughters, Naomi, 14, Finnegan, 9, and Maisy, 8. (Perfect playdate age for the Obama girls!)
· Daughter Ashley, 27, a social worker for the state of Delaware.
· Siblings Jim, Frank and Valerie, who has run Biden's campaigns since 1972. Plus, a whole parade of in-laws, siblings, spouses, etc.
A Yankee For McCain
· A celebrity endorsement for John McCain: Puerto Rican reggaeton star Daddy Yankee, whose unexpected stop with the candidate at a Phoenix high school yesterday caused teen girls to completely freak out, reports our colleague Michael Shear. The singer, whose crossover 2004 hit "Gasolina" extolled hot women, sex and cars, said McCain is the best "fighter for the immigration issue."
· At the senator's request, Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson will sing the national anthem Thursday before Barack Obama accepts the nomination, according to the best political team on television, "Access Hollywood."
Quote of the Day
"I've got one to add: My Social Security number is 8."
-- John McCain on "The Tonight Show" last night after enduring another round of John-McCain-is-soooo-old jokes from Jay Leno.