Sunday, August 31, 2008
The Baltimore Ravens trimmed their roster yesterday during the final major round of roster cuts, letting go of recently signed quarterback Casey Bramlet and former Pro Bowl special-teams ace Gary Stills.
The Ravens had signed Bramlet off waivers Wednesday, and he played in a 10-9 preseason loss to the Atlanta Falcons, going 7 of 21 for 100 yards and two interceptions.
That leaves rookie Joe Flacco as the lone healthy quarterback on the roster with Kyle Boller (right shoulder) and Troy Smith (illness) sidelined. The Ravens are expected to explore the quarterback market.
Stills set an NFL record with 44 special-teams tackles in 2006 with the Ravens, falling to 26 stops last season. He recorded five tackles, including one for an 11-yard loss, against the Falcons.
The Ravens placed cornerback David Pittman (foot) and running back Cory Ross (ankle) on injured reserve, ending their seasons.
With cornerbacks Derrick Martin (substance abuse policy) and Fabian Washington (personal conduct policy) suspended for the first game for violating league rules, the Ravens' roster is at 52 players.
· BENGALS: Tackle Willie Anderson, running back Rudi Johnson and linebacker Ahmad Brooks were released. Anderson, 33, was the most tenured Bengal, having played 12 seasons in Cincinnati. Injuries limited him to seven games last season, ending his streak of four consecutive Pro Bowl appearances. Johnson, 28, missed most of camp because of a hamstring injury.
· SEAHAWKS: Starting defensive tackle Rocky Bernard and nickel back Jordan Babineaux were suspended by the NFL for next week's season opener.
Bernard violated the league's personal conduct policy. He was arrested in April for allegedly hitting his girlfriend in the head at a nightclub. Both players were suspended without pay, and Babineaux was fined a second game check for violating the league's substance abuse policy.
· JAGUARS: Running back Fred Taylor was arrested outside a Miami Beach nightclub early yesterday and charged with disorderly conduct. Former wide receiver Jimmy Smith was arrested Friday on a drunken driving charge in Jacksonville.
· TEXANS: Houston placed running back Chris Brown on injured reserve, continuing a string of recent disappointments at the position.
· PATRIOTS: The NFL suspended running back Kevin Faulk for the team's opening game against Kansas City for violating the league's substance abuse policy. Faulk also was fined two game checks.
· JETS: Running back Jesse Chatman has been suspended without pay for the first four regular season games for violating the NFL's steroids and related-substances policy.
· PANTHERS: Cornerback Ricardo Colclough was arrested yesterday and charged with DWI, then was released by Carolina.
· FALCONS: Quarterback Joey Harrington and guard Kynan Forney were cut.
· PATRIOTS: New England cut quarterback Matt Gutierrez and kept Matt Cassel as Tom Brady's backup for a fourth season.
· EAGLES: Defensive end Jerome McDougle, a former first-round pick, was cut.
· CARDINALS: Kurt Warner will be Arizona's starting quarterback for the season opener at San Francisco.