What's the Deal? Travel Bargains
What's the Deal?
· Four Seasons Hotel in Miami has discounted rates through Dec. 21. Nightly rate starts at $225 for stays of three or more nights, $250 for stays of at least two nights; taxes are an extra 13 percent. Rates typically start at $399. The rate includes access to the hotel's 50,000-square-foot fitness center and a two-acre pool terrace. Info: 305-381-3381, http:/
· Buy a Eurail pass now for travel in spring, and get extra travel days. Buy a 15-day Eurail Global Pass, which applies to travel in 21 countries, and receive a pass good for 21 days. Or buy a 21-day Global Pass, and get a month's worth of rail travel. The deal also applies to Eurail Select Pass, which allows travel within three adjoining countries; buy a six- or eight-day pass (good for travel within a two-month period), and receive two extra days. Purchase pass by Nov. 30, and travel March 1-May 31; travel must start within six months of pass purchase. Prices vary by product and by the number of travelers. A three-country Eurail Select Pass for two people, for example, starts at $435 per person for six days (eight with promo) of travel. Info: http:/
· Kimpton Hotels is offering a 20 percent room discount for passengers who arrive via Amtrak. The promotion applies to Friday and Saturday night stays through March 31 at 11 hotels in Boston, New York and Washington. Savings vary by property and date; lowest rates generally apply to non-holiday weekend stays in January and February. A room at 70 Park Avenue Hotel in New York, for example, starts at $263 (plus about 17 percent tax), a savings of $66. At Nine Zero Hotel in Boston, price starts at $183 a night (plus about 12 percent tax), a savings of $46. At Hotel Monaco in Washington, price starts at $151 (plus about 15 percent tax), a savings of $38. The Ride the Rails offer also allows savings of 15 percent on Sunday-Thursday stays. Request rate code PRTR. Amtrak ticket must be presented at arrival. Info: 800-546-7866, http:/
· An Antarctica expedition with Quark Expeditions has been discounted by 50 percent. The voyage, aboard the Clipper Adventurer, now starts at $3,540 per person double. The trip begins Nov. 30 with an overnight at a hotel in Ushuaia, Argentina. The 10-night cruise embarks Dec. 1, traveling round trip from Ushuaia through the Drake Passage to Antarctica. Info: 800-356-5699, http:/
· Costa Cruises has discounted a seven-night cruise between Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and Roatan, Honduras, by $600 per person. Cruise on the 2,716-passenger Costa Fortuna departing Jan. 4 now starts at $499 per person double plus $137 fuel surcharges and port taxes. Cruise also stops in Key West, Fla.; Cozumel, Mexico; and Grand Cayman. Info: 877-882-6782, http:/
· Silversea has discounted a seven-day Barcelona to Rome cruise by 40 percent. The cruise aboard the 382-passenger Silver Whisper departing June 20 now starts at $3,897 per person double plus $175 port charges; price was $6,495. Itinerary includes stops in Cannes, France; Monte Carlo, Monaco; Livorno, Italy; and Sorrento, Italy. Info: 800-722-9955, http:/
· American has sale fares from BWI to Shanghai. Round-trip fare is $966, including $83 taxes. Fare on other airlines starts at $1,079. Sale applies to Monday-Thursday travel departing by Nov. 27 and returning by Dec. 30. Six-day minimum and 30-day maximum stay required. Tickets must be purchased at least seven days in advance. Book by Oct. 16 at http:/
· Icelandair is offering sale fares from New York's JFK to nine cities in Europe, including Amsterdam, Paris, Oslo and Copenhagen. Round-trip fare to Oslo, for example, is $663, including taxes; fare on other airlines starts at $827. Travel Nov. 4-29, and book by Oct. 14. Info: 800-223-5500, http:/
· US Airways is offering $300 reductions on already discounted packages to St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands. Deal applies to trips of at least seven nights departing Saturdays Dec. 20-April 18. For example, a week-long package departing Reagan National on Jan. 10, with lodging at the Hotel Caravelle, starts at $1,615 per couple, including taxes, after the $300 discount. Priced separately, airfare is $444 per person and the hotel about $213 a night, for a savings of $764 per couple. Book by Dec. 10, requesting promo code STX300. Info: 800-455-0123, http:/
· Spend four nights in Florence for $930 per person double, including taxes, with a deal from Club ABC Tours (membership fees are an extra $30 per household). The package includes round-trip airfare from New York's JFK and lodging at the Grand Hotel Baglioni. Book by Nov. 30. Cheapest fares available for departures Jan. 13 and Jan. 20; pay $100 more per person for other departures December-February. Priced separately, air would cost $783 per person and the hotel $262 a night, for a savings of $377 per person. Info: 888-868-7722, http:/
-- Carol Sottili
Prices were verified and available on Thursday afternoon when the Travel section went to press. However, deals sell out quickly and are not guaranteed to be available. Restrictions such as day of travel, blackout dates and advance-purchase requirements sometimes apply.