Travel Q& A
Travel Q& A: : Nonstop Flights to Tropical Locales, Nova Scotia B& Bs and Inns
Sunday, January 18, 2009
Q: Do you know of any nonstop flights out of a Washington airport to a tropical location? We went to Aruba last year nonstop, and it was fantastic, but we'd like to try a new location this year.
A: As anyone who has ever languished in airports knows, layovers can suck hours and sometimes entire days from precious beach time. Luckily, Washington area travelers can fly nonstop this season to eight tropical islands, plus Cancun, Mexico. In addition, vacation discounters such as Liberty Travel (888-271-1584, http:/
Here's the rundown for peak season (winter and spring) this year, including typical round-trip nonrefundable fares for spring travel.
Ritual disclaimers: Airfares can vary greatly depending on the days of the week you travel. Many of these flights are seasonal only. And remember that all of this info is subject to change.
· Aruba. United Airlines flies from Dulles International Airport on Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays (from $606). Flight time: 4 1/2 hours one way.
· Bahamas. US Airways flies from Reagan National Airport to Nassau five times a week ($251). Flight time: 2 1/2 hours.
· Cancun. USA3000 flies from Baltimore-Washington International Marshall Airport on Tuesdays, Saturdays and Sundays through Feb. 8, then adds a Thursday run ($418). AirTran begins flying Saturdays and Sundays from BWI on March 7 ($512). United offers daily flights from Dulles ($727). JetBlue ($473) and Delta ($424) fly Saturdays from Dulles. Flight time from both airports: 3 1/2 hours.
· Cayman Islands. Cayman Airways flies from Dulles to Grand Cayman Island on Wednesdays and Saturdays (from $376). Flight time: 3 1/2 hours.
· Dominican Republic. USA3000 flies from BWI to Punta Cana on Mondays, Fridays and Saturdays, then drops to Mondays and Fridays starting Jan. 25 (from $437). United flies on Saturdays from Dulles ($741). Flight time from both airports: four hours.
· Jamaica. Air Jamaica flies daily from BWI to Montego Bay ($497). United flies Saturdays from Dulles ($806). Flight time from both airports: 3 1/2 hours.