Sunday, February 8, 2009
MARDI GRAS BALL, hosted by Civista Health Foundation, with the theme "Disco Inferno." Proceeds support the foundation. Heavy hors d'oeuvres, open bar, live music. Black tie or 1970s attire. Advance reservations required. 8 p.m.-12:30 a.m. Feb. 21. Middleton Hall, 4045 Renner Rd., Waldorf. $125 before Wednesday, $150 after. For information, visit http://www.civista.org. 301-609-4132.
LOW-COST PRIMARY CARE IN ST. MARY'S, St. Mary's Hospital Health Connections has started Get Connected to Health, a low-cost primary-care service for uninsured county residents. It will be 1-5 p.m. Mondays in the Health Connections Mobile Outreach Center at Lexington Park Library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. No appointment needed. $15 each visit. 301-475-6019.
FAMILY PLANNING CLINIC HOURS, St. Mary's Health Department is expanding hours for its Family Planning and Reproductive Health Clinic to serve walk-in clients who need screening and treatment for sexually transmitted diseases. First-come, first-served. 8 a.m. and 1 p.m. Wednesdays. Free. 301-475-4419.Blood Drives
· Sponsored by Civista Medical Center and La Plata United Methodist Church. 2-8 p.m. Feb. 23, 3 Port Tobacco Rd., La Plata. 800-448-3543.
· Sponsored by the American Red Cross and Second District Volunteer Fire Department and Rescue Squad. 2-7:30 p.m. Feb. 16, Valley Lee. 301-994-1543.
MALL WALKERS, supervised, all-weather walking with free blood-pressure monitoring. 7:30-9:30 a.m. weekdays, St. Charles Towne Center, Waldorf. Free. 301-877-5700.
WOMEN'S HEALTH-RESOURCE LINE, offered by Calvert Memorial Hospital to answer questions about its women's services. 410-414-4569.
MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES, Calvert County Mental Health Clinic is operated at the Twin Beaches Community Health Center, 8924 Chesapeake Ave., North Beach. Diagnostic and medication evaluations, medication management and individual and family therapy services are available. Most commercial insurance programs and Medicaid are accepted. 410-535-5400, Ext. 475.
· Powered wheelchairs are available, usually at no out-of-pocket cost, to eligible non-ambulatory people 65 and older. 800-749-8778 or http://www.jaspanmedical.com.
· Wishes on Wheels offers wheelchairs, usually at no out-of-pocket cost, to eligible people 65 and older. 800-823-5220 or http://www.threewishes2.com.
· Medicare recipients who have arthritis, cardiovascular disease or respiratory disorders and difficulty walking or using a standard wheelchair might be eligible for an electric wheelchair. Call Gregory Coleman at 800-810-2877.
· Wheels of Love helps seniors with respiratory disorders, arthritis, cardiovascular disease, mobility limitations or difficulty moving a standard wheelchair to receive a powered chair or scooter paid for by Medicare. For eligibility information, call 866-631-3028.
HEALTH SERVICES, for seniors who find it difficult to leave home, the Chesapeake-Potomac Home Health Agency, a nonprofit group serving Charles, Calvert and St. Mary's counties, will make home visits to draw blood for lab tests, organize prescription drugs or fill insulin syringes. Call the intake office at 800-656-4343, Ext. 121.Massage
· Joy Lane Healing Center, offers massage, reflexology and nutritional counseling, yoga, QiGong and meditation classes; workshops in Aikido, Ayurveda and organic gardening. Joy Lane Healing Center, Hollywood. 301-373-2522.
· Southern Maryland Massage, state-licensed. Half-price massage for first-time clients. 301-884-5830.
· Janina Wellness Center offers massage, reflexology and meditation. 12114-C Old Line Center, Waldorf. Call for times and dates. 410-353-8615.
· Bay Healing Arts Center offers acupuncture, massage, reflexology and Reiki. 9129 Bay Ave., North Beach. Call for times and dates. 410-286-9110.
· Heaven to Earth Healing Arts offers energy work, noninvasive techniques to help access natural healing abilities. 50-minute session, $65. Call for times, dates and locations. 410-257-0147.
· Calvert Memorial Hospital. Reduce pain, soothe injured muscles, stimulate circulation, promote relaxation and relieve stress. One-hour full-body massage, $60. Seated chair massage for head, neck, back, shoulders, arms and hands, 15 minutes, $13; 30 minutes, $26. Call 410-394-2816 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 2816, for times, dates and locations.
VISITING NURSE ASSOCIATION, MedStar Health Visiting Nurse Association's office in Camp Springs offers home care in Calvert, Charles, St. Mary's and southern Prince George's counties. Services include wound care, infusion and rehabilitation. Specialty care in cardiology and cardiac rehabilitation, ostomy, oncology, stroke and joint-replacement rehabilitation, diabetes, maternal-child health and pediatrics and respiratory therapy. 301-931-3100.
CIVISTA ON THE LINE, Civista Medical Center offers free referrals of medical staff members. Callers can also register for Civista-sponsored events and classes and receive information on health-related county resources. 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. weekdays. 888-332-4847.
TRANSPORTATION SERVICES, Southern Maryland Hospital Center offers transportation for outpatient services when personal transportation is not available. 301-877-4357.Blood-Pressure Screenings
· Calvert Memorial Hospital, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. third Tuesdays. No appointment needed. 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233.
· Civista Medical Center, 1-3 p.m. first and third Mondays in La Plata.
· Calvert Pines Senior Center, 11 a.m.-noon first and third Thursdays.
· North Beach Senior Center, 10-11 a.m. first Fridays.
· St. Mary's County Health Connections Van, Leonardtown Square, noon-3 p.m. second Wednesdays.
· St. Mary's Hospital Medical Center at Charlotte Hall, 37767 Market Dr., 9 a.m.-noon first Friday of the month. 301-290-1499.
· St. Mary's Hospital (13), 9 a.m.-noon second Friday of the month in the lobby.
· Southern Maryland Hospital Center, noon-6 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, noon-8 p.m. Thursdays and noon-3 p.m. Fridays in the hospital solarium.Education Programs
WOMEN'S WELLNESS, Offered by St. Mary's Hospital and St. Mary's Delicados. Health screenings, continental breakfast and lunch, health displays and educational materials. Discussions on anemia, living well with arthritis, dental health and medical issues. 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Mount Zion United Methodist Church of Laurel Grove, Mechanicsville. Free. 301-475-6019 or http://www.smhwecare.com.
"MATTERS OF THE FEMALE HEART," offered by Civista Women's Health Center. Reduce cardiovascular risk factors through screenings and awareness. Screenings include glucose testing, cholesterol, triglycerides, body fat measurements and stroke-risk assessment. Discuss results with health professionals. Fasting required. Continental breakfast served after screening. Appointment required. 7-11 a.m. Feb. 14. $50,
CHRONIC DISEASE COURSE, offered by Calvert County Office on Aging for anyone 50 and older with symptoms or conditions of migraines, diabetes, arthritis, heart disease, cancer and other illnesses. Six-week class. 1-3 p.m. Feb. 9. Southern Pines Senior Center. Free. 410-535-4606 or 301-855-1170.
LOOK GOOD, FEEL BETTER, a program at Calvert Memorial Hospital to help female cancer patients cope with hair and skin changes during treatment. Call the hospital for dates and times.
SMOKING-CESSATION CLASS, offered by Calvert Memorial Hospital. Support, education and tools to help smokers quit. Call for times and dates. Free.
HEART TALKS, by St. Mary's County Health Department, addressing hypertension and the symptoms and signs of stroke and heart attack. To schedule a 45-minute presentation, call Betsy Tyer at 301-475-4079.
CPR COURSES, Calvert Memorial Hospital offers courses in CPR techniques for use on adults, infants and children. Certification available for health-care providers. Call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233, for dates and times.
NUTRITION COUNSELING, take a healthy approach to weight loss, heart health and balanced nutrition. Meet with a registered dietitian. Calvert Memorial Hospital. Call for an appointment. One-hour session, $40; four sessions, $130.
BODY COMPOSITION ASSESSMENTS, including a printout with participant's body mass and body fat status and recommendations for optimal weight and weight loss. Calvert Memorial Hospital. $20. For an appointment, call 410-535-8245 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8245.
FITNESS ASSESSMENT, from a certified trainer. Tests evaluate muscle strength, flexibility, aerobic endurance and body composition. Calvert Memorial Hospital. $50. For an appointment, call 410-535-8245 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8245.Diabetes Self-Management
· Charles County Department of Health and Nanjemoy Health Services offers participants ways to learn to manage stress to cope with their diabetes. Lunch provided. 11 a.m.-noon, third Thursdays. Nanjemoy Health Services, 4375 Port Tobacco Rd., Nanjemoy. Free. 301-609-6933.
· Calvert Memorial Hospital offers a program on learning how to balance lifestyle and diabetes, covered by most health insurance plans. For an appointment, call 410-414-4809.
· At St. Mary's Hospital, professionals will help with diabetic meal planning, monitoring, treatment options and daily coping. Day and evening self-management classes. 301-475-6019.
· Civista Women's Health Center offers a program of two group classes and two individual sessions. Call 301-609-5200 to discuss insurance coverage and registration.
· Maryland Foundation for Quality Healthcare offers two-hour classes at a variety of times and locations in Charles and St. Mary's counties. $5 each session. To register, call Carol Wright at 301-645-0001, option 5.
· Support group meets 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. third Thursdays, Calvert Memorial Hospital. For meeting topics and speakers, call the Diabetes Support Group hotline at 410-414-4783.
HEALTH SPEAKERS, health professionals are available to speak with businesses or community groups. Subjects include diet and nutrition, heart-disease prevention, cancer prevention, breast cancer, skin care, sleep disorders, diabetes, hearing loss, osteoporosis, alternative medicine, children's health and safety and women's health issues. Offered by Calvert Memorial Hospital. 410-414-4523 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4523.Yoga
· Calvert Memorial Hospital's Healthy Alternatives program offers yoga for all ages and fitness levels. For class dates and times, call 410-394-2816 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 2816.
· "Yoga Body and Mind," offered by Civista Women's Health Center; 45 minutes of asana work, with cooling, breathing exercises and meditation in the last 15 minutes. Take a mat. 6:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays. Eight classes, $60; walk-ins, $12.Parenting
MATERNITY TOURS, offered by St. Mary's Hospital. Tour the Women's Health and Family Birthing Center, 2-3 p.m., second and fourth Sundays. Free.
IN-DEPTH PARENTING CLASSES
· Offered by St. Mary's Hospital. Topics include basic care, breast-feeding, childbirth, infant safety and CPR and siblings. There is a group for breast-feeding mothers. All classes are free to parents who plan to deliver at the hospital. Call the HealthConnections program for dates and times, 301-475-6019.
· Calvert Memorial Hospital offers classes that cover labor and delivery preparation, relaxation and breathing techniques, medication options, cesarean delivery information and breast-feeding education. Weeknight and Saturday classes available. Call Nurturing Necessities at 410-414-5414.
· Civista Medical Center offers expanded childbirth classes that cover breathing, relaxation techniques, comfort measures, medications, hospital procedures, stages of labor, vaginal and cesarean deliveries, and after post-delivery mother and infant care. 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Feb. 21 or Feb. 28. $85.
· Nurturing Necessities. 1:30-3 p.m. Wednesdays. Free.
· Breast-Feeding Moms, offered by the St. Mary's Hospital Health Connections programs. 10 a.m.-noon Wednesdays. Free.
PRENATAL YOGA, St. Mary's Hospital offers a six-week course that teaches hatha yoga postures, breathing practices for relaxation and the use of sound to relieve stress. Join the class any time after the first trimester. Permission from a health-care provider is required. Fee charged. Call 301-475-6019 for dates and times and to register.
PREGNANCY MASSAGE, offered by Calvert Memorial Hospital. Provided by a trained therapist. Reduce tension and swelling, improve circulation, increase relaxation and relieve back pain. One-hour session, $60. Call for an appointment, 410-394-2816.Support Groups
"TIME TO HEAL," for those grieving the death of a child. 6-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays, through March 3, Calvert Hospice office, 238 Merrimac Ct., Prince Frederick. Free. 410-535-0892 or 301-855-1226.
"BRIDGES," for families grieving the death of a loved one. 6-7:30 p.m. Thursdays, through March 5, Calvert Hospice office, 238 Merrimac Ct., Prince Frederick. Free. 410-535-0892 or 301-855-1226.
LOSS OF A PET SUPPORT, offered by Calvert Hospice for those grieving the loss of a pet. 6:30-8 p.m. Thursdays, Feb. 26 to March 19, Calvert Hospice office, 238 Merrimac Ct., Prince Frederick. Free. 410-535-0892 or 301-855-1226.
DROP-IN GRIEF SUPPORT, offered by Calvert Hospice. 5:30-7 p.m. Tuesdays, Calvert Hospice, 238 Merrimac Ct., Prince Frederick. Free. 410-535-0892 or 301-855-1226.
· Civista Medical Center. For support and education. 2-4 p.m. Feb. 28. 888-332-4847.
· Group meets 10 a.m.-noon the third Saturday of each month, St. Mary's County Library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-994-1858 or 301-862-5524.
OSTOMY, Chesapeake-Potomac Home Health Agency, 7627 Leonardtown Rd., Hughesville. Free. For dates and times of meetings, call Amber Fowler at 301-274-9000, Ext. 227.
· National Alliance on Mental Health, Southern Maryland, will hold a family support group meeting on the second Thursdays. 7-8:30 p.m., Alternatives for Youth and Families, 30049 Business Center Dr., Charlotte Hall. Free. 240-725-0062.
· National Alliance on Mental Illness, Southern Maryland, holds a recovery support group meeting twice a month for adults with mental illness. 7-8:30 p.m. first and third Mondays, Pathways office, 29770 Three Notch Rd., Suite 202, Charlotte Hall. Free. 301-672-0429 or http://www.namisomd.org.
· Family members welcome. 5-6 p.m. second Thursdays, Southern Maryland Hospital Center. Free.
· Chesapeake-Potomac Home Health Agency. 6:30-7:30 p.m. fourth Thursdays. CPHHA office, 7627 Leonardtown Rd., Hughesville. Free.
AMPUTEES, Calvert Memorial Hospital group meets 6-7:30 p.m. second Tuesdays in the transitional care unit's fourth-floor activity room. Free. Call Scarlett Schall, 410-535-8210 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8210. 410-414-4670.
BRAIN INJURY, meets 10:30 a.m.-noon on first Thursdays and 6-7:30 p.m. second Thursdays, Spring Dell Center, 6040 Radio Station Rd., La Plata. 301-932-6196.
· Sisters at Heart offers friendship, encouragement and support to those 60 and older. 11:30 a.m. fourth Monday of the month, Richard R. Clark Senior Center, 1210 Charles St., La Plata. Free. 301-934-5423.
· The Pink Ladies group provides support, encouragement and awareness, 6 p.m. second Thursdays, Southern Maryland Christian Academy, White Plains. Free. Call Anne, 301-932-2942, or Evelyn, 301-934-8513.
· Friends Who Care meets at 6:30 p.m. first and third Tuesdays of the month, Calvert Medical Office Building, 110 Hospital Rd., Prince Frederick. Free. Call social worker Joyce Gradle at 410-326-4262.
· Sponsored by Southern Maryland Hospital Center. 7:30-8:30 p.m. third Mondays and 6:30-8:30 p.m. second Tuesdays, Colony South Hotel and Conference Center, 7401 Surratts Rd., Clinton. Free. 301-877-5600.
CANCER, 1:30-3 p.m. first and third Thursdays, Calvert Memorial Hospital, Classroom 1. Free. Call Cindy Bruce, 410-414-4730 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4730.
LUPUS, Chesapeake-Potomac Home Health Agency. Meets every other month. 800-656-4343.
PROSTATE CANCER, Sponsored by Southern Maryland Hospital Center. 6:30-8:30 p.m. second Tuesdays, Colony South Hotel and Conference Center, 7401 Surratts Rd., Clinton. Free. 301-877-5600.
· For caregivers of older adults. Supervision for older adults available on site during the group meeting, 2 p.m. last Wednesday of the month, Richard R. Clark Senior Center, 1210 E. Charles St., La Plata. Free. 301-934-0128 or 301-870-3388, Ext. 5128.
· Offered by Calvert County Hospice. Available for county residents caring for a loved one who is chronically or terminally ill. 12:30-2 p.m. second and fourth Tuesdays at the hospice office, 238 Merrimac Ct., Prince Frederick. Free. 410-535-0892 or 301-855-1226.
· A group for survivors and caregivers. Clinical professionals will be available to answer questions and share ideas for improving physical, social and emotional health. 5:30-7 p.m. first Wednesdays, Calvert Memorial Hospital. Free. 410-414-4800.
· Southern Maryland Hospital Center group is open to family members. 5-6 p.m. fourth Thursday of the month, Colony South Hotel and Conference Center, 7401 Surratts Rd., Clinton. Free, registration recommended. 301-877-4563.
CARDIAC SUPPORT GROUP,
meets 6-8 p.m. third Wednesdays, Calvert Memorial Hospital. Call 410-414-4648.
-- Compiled by BONNIE SMITH
To Submit an Item
Mail: Health Watch, Southern Maryland Extra, 100 N. Oak Ave., La Plata, Md. 20646.
Details: Items are published monthly on the second or third Sunday of the month, on a space-available basis. Information must be received at least 14 days before the publication date. Include event name, date, time, street address, cost and publishable phone number.