Georgetown Falls to Marquette, 78-72, in Men's Basketball
Sunday, February 22, 2009
Georgetown had nearly every possible psychic advantage working in its favor as players trotted on court for yesterday's critical game against 10th-ranked Marquette.
· A near-capacity Verizon Center crowd that included eight players from the 1984 national championship team.
· A videotaped message from Patrick Ewing, who led the Hoyas to that glorious achievement.
· A spirited student contingent, populated with blue wigs, pompons and a row of bare chests that spelled out "WE BELIEVE!"
· Newfound confidence from a rout of South Florida earlier in the week.
· And the knowledge that a victory was all but essential to salvaging hopes of an NCAA tournament berth.
But no amount of good will or motivation was enough to fend off Marquette's furious charge over the final eight minutes, and Georgetown fell, 78-72, despite a gutsy effort and six-point lead in the second half.