2 Men Charged in Double Slaying in Upscale Prince George's, Maryland, Enclave

By Aaron C. Davis
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, March 12, 2009

Two men have been arrested in the January slayings of a Ghanaian immigrant and his pregnant girlfriend in an enclave of million-dollar homes in Prince George's County, police said yesterday. One of the suspects is the brother of the dead man's estranged wife.

Neighbors said the arrests would begin to restore a sense of security in the gated community of Oak Creek, which was shaken by the killings of Seth Aidoo, 40, and Eunice Baah, 36.

Samuel Culley Jr., 52, and Delford Mitchell Barnes, 50, both of the 3800 block of Keehar Court near Upper Marlboro, were charged with two counts of first-degree murder. Sheila Aidoo, Seth Aidoo's estranged wife, also lives at that address, according to court records.

Although police did not say it, Culley is a brother of Sheila Aidoo, according to public records and Baah's relatives.

Barnes was arrested yesterday at the Keehar Court address. Culley, arrested Tuesday in Newark, is awaiting extradition from New Jersey, and Barnes was being held without bail in the county's jail.

Sheila Aidoo did not immediately respond to messages left at the home.

Police sources, speaking on condition of anonymity because the investigation is continuing, said that Seth Aidoo had significant life insurance and other policies and that it appeared Sheila Aidoo remained a beneficiary even though the two had separated.

Maj. Daniel Dusseau, head of Prince George's major crimes unit, declined to say whether Sheila Aidoo is a suspect. "The investigation remains open on that part," he said.

Both Culley and Barnes have been sued by creditors in recent years, and Maryland has a lien against Barnes and a business partner for more than $80,000 in unpaid taxes. The home they share with Aidoo was listed in foreclosure last year. Sheila Aidoo filed for bankruptcy last year, although the case was dropped when she failed to file additional court papers.

Barnes was found guilty of carrying a handgun in 1995, and Culley pleaded guilty to assault in the District in 1993.

Dusseau said the suspects were seen on video surveillance footage from cameras surrounding the Oak Creek development.

At a news conference, Chief Roberto L. Hylton said the arrests, made after two months of investigation, should send a message to would-be criminals. "We may not catch you today or tomorrow, but we are going to stay on pace to get an arrest," he said.

Staff researcher Meg Smith contributed to this report.

© 2009 The Washington Post Company