2A Boys

High School Boys Basketball: City College Beats Douglass, 55-42

City College's Charles Tapper gets a defensive rebound in front of Douglass's Vaughn Johnson in the Maryland 2A boys championship game.
City College's Charles Tapper gets a defensive rebound in front of Douglass's Vaughn Johnson in the Maryland 2A boys championship game. (By Toni L. Sandys -- The Washington Post)
  Enlarge Photo     Buy Photo
By Alan Goldenbach
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, March 15, 2009

Eric Washington seemed to personify Douglass's improbable run to the Maryland 2A final when he hit a most improbable shot when the Eagles needed it most.

But after Washington's four-point play midway through the fourth quarter threatened to halt City College's rally, the Eagles could muster nothing more. City College pulled away for a 55-42 victory last night at Comcast Center, as the Knights ended the game on a 12-1 run to claim their first state championship.

"It gave us a lot of energy," Washington said of his shot. "But we came up a little short."

Douglass (15-12), which ended the regular season with a 10-11 mark and entered this game having won seven in a row, seemed spent. The Eagles, who won their first region title since 1986, were seeking their first state championship in 43 years, and acknowledged afterward that might have been just too much to ask.

"I told them before the game that the path we took to make it to this game, we accomplished so much," Douglass Coach Tyrone Massenburg said. "Just to play [here], we felt like champions."

Douglass's shooting went cold in the third quarter. After sophomore forward Timmone Whatley's 15-foot pull-up jumper gave Douglass a 27-23 lead less than two minutes into the second half, the Eagles went 7 minutes 50 seconds before their next field goal.

"We were fighting and trying to make something happen," Whatley said, "but we just couldn't."

City (21-6) was only able to push to a 33-29 lead at the start of the fourth quarter. But 47 seconds in, a scoop by Nardi Bogues, nephew of former NBA standout Muggsy Bogues, made it a six-point margin -- the game's widest to that point. After Daquan Cook's steal led to a fast-break dunk by Jordan Lathan, the Baltimore school was up 41-33 with 5 1/2 minutes left, and Douglass looked finished.

On the next Douglass possession, though, Solomon Fennell scored on a putback, and after a defensive stop, Washington hit a three-pointer and drew a foul. He hit the free throw to complete the four-point play and cut City's lead to 41-39. Bogues followed with a pair of free throws, and Whatley answered with a jumper in the lane with 4:09 left.

City College 55 Douglass 42 Wardrobe Malfunction: Both teams came out for pregame warmups wearing the home white uniforms, forcing a 35-minute delay. Douglass was the designated home team, so City was forced to wear Maryland's men's practice jerseys with white tape covering the Terps' logo. "We could have played without any shirts," City center Jordan Lathan said, "as long as we got this win."

© 2009 The Washington Post Company