Hoyas' Season Comes to a Fitting End

Jeff Allen, right, dunks on Duquesne's Bill Clark in Virginia Tech's double-overtime win.
Jeff Allen, right, dunks on Duquesne's Bill Clark in Virginia Tech's double-overtime win. (By Matt Gentry -- The Roanoke Times, Via Associated Press)
  Enlarge Photo    
Associated Press
Thursday, March 19, 2009

LaceDarius Dunn and Kevin Rogers each scored 20 points and Curtis Jerrells added 19 to lead Baylor to a 74-72 win over Georgetown in the first round of the National Invitation Tournament in Waco, Tex., last night.

The Bears (21-14) got their first postseason victory since 1950.

Jerrells put Baylor ahead 74-69 with a pair of free throws with eight seconds remaining.

But DaJuan Summers hit a three-pointer for Georgetown (16-15) with four seconds left, and Tweety Carter missed the front end of a one-and-one opportunity for the Bears.

Summers, who led the Hoyas with 19 points, grabbed the rebound and launched a shot at the buzzer that fell short.

Jerrells's layup tied the game at 67 with just less than five minutes remaining. He followed with a steal, and Carter's three-pointer gave the Bears the lead for good less than 30 seconds later.

Behind 72-69, Georgetown's Chris Wright attempted a three-pointer from the left side with 11 seconds left. Jerrells partially blocked the shot and Dunn pulled down the rebound for the Bears. Jerrells then made his free throws for a decisive five-point lead.

Greg Monroe added 12 points and Austin Freeman 11 for Georgetown.

Trailing 44-34 at halftime, Baylor opened the second half on 13-2 run and took a 47-46 lead with 16 1/2 minutes left to play. Dunn ignited the comeback with 11 points, including three three-pointers.

Georgetown shot 76 percent from the floor in the first half, connecting on 16 of 21 attempts.

Baylor plays Virginia Tech in the second round.

Hokies Survive in 2OTs

Virginia Tech placed five scorers in double figures -- including 33 points from A.D. Vassallo -- and the Hokies scored on their first five possessions in the second overtime to outlast visiting Duquesne and Aaron Jackson's 46 points, 116-108.

The Dukes (21-13), making their first postseason appearance since the 1994 NIT, closed out their best season since the 1971 team went 21-4.

Virginia Tech (19-14) appeared to have the game under control in the first overtime, leading by six with less than a minute to go. But Duquesne rallied and tied the score at 94 on Jackson's layup with less than two seconds left.

In the second overtime, Vassallo scored 10 points and the Hokies made all 10 of their free throws to put the game away.

Four of the Hokies' top five scorers had at least 20 points. Jeff Allen had 23, J.T. Thompson 21, Malcolm Delaney 20 and Dorenzo Hudson 15.

© 2009 The Washington Post Company