Adoptive Mother in Girl's Death to Have Competency Evaluation

Alfreedia Gregg-Glover is charged with child abuse and murder.
Alfreedia Gregg-Glover is charged with child abuse and murder. (Courtesy Of Prince William County Police - Courtesy Of Prince William County Police)
  Enlarge Photo    
By Jonathan Mummolo
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, March 29, 2009

A Prince William County judge Friday ordered that a woman charged with murdering her 13-year-old adopted daughter by leaving her for dead in a creek be evaluated to see whether she is competent to stand trial and whether she was sane at the time of the alleged killing.

According to authorities, Alfreedia Gregg-Glover, 44, falsely told police Jan. 7 that her daughter, Alexis "Lexie" Agyepong-Glover, had run away, when in fact Gregg-Glover had placed the girl in a shallow creek in the Woodbridge area. Lexie's body was found two days later. The medical examiner ruled that she had died of drowning and exposure to cold and found that her body had new and old injuries, authorities said.

Gregg-Glover is in custody and is charged with abusing and murdering Lexie, as well as filing a false police report.

On Friday, Gregg-Glover's court-appointed attorney, John V. Notarianni, requested that she be evaluated by a mental health expert for competency and sanity.

In arguing for a competency evaluation, Notarianni told Circuit Court Judge Mary Grace O'Brien that Gregg-Glover's "emotional state renders her, in effect, unavailable to me at times" when he tries to discuss the case.

O'Brien granted Notarianni's motions, which also included requests to view evidence from the prosecution, without objection from prosecutors. Gregg-Glover is due back in court for a report on her competency May 8.

Since Lexie's death, several people have come forward recounting numerous times in the years leading to her death when they saw evidence that Lexie had been abused by her adoptive mother. The witnesses said they alerted police, school and social services officials, but Lexie was not removed from the home.

Following a Washington Post report on the alleged abuse, Prince William County Police Chief Charlie T. Deane ordered an internal probe of his department's handling of the girl's case. He has asked the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children for assistance because of its "expertise in helping law enforcement work with parents and children in times of need."

Deane said that members of his staff had a preliminary meeting last week with representatives of the center and that he has assembled a team of detectives and supervisors to carry out the probe.

"We're going to be very open about the process," he said.

Deane has said that he has set no time frame for the review's completion and that he will make as much of the results public as state and county law permit.

In addition, the Board of County Supervisors has called for an expedited review of the county child welfare system.

That review, by state officials, is expected to take months, and County Executive Craig S. Gerhart has said that the county would review the report's findings to redact confidential information before making them public.

Gregg-Glover appealed to the media for help in finding her daughter after Jan. 7, saying Lexie suffered from autism and other ailments and acted much younger than her age. But several of Lexie's former counselors have disputed that characterization, saying Lexie was a smart, affectionate girl who had reactive attachment disorder, a condition that makes it hard to form emotional bonds and is sometimes found among abused and adopted children.

© 2009 The Washington Post Company