A previous version of this quiz, in the answer to question 5, reported incorrectly the casualty total at the Battle of Antietam on Sept. 17, 1862. There were an estimated 23,000 soldiers killed and wounded in the battle.
A CIVIL WAR QUIZ
1) Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation:
a) Freed all slaves
b) Freed all slaves living in Southern states
c) Freed all slaves in areas still in rebellion against the United States
d) Promised to free all slaves when the war ended
2) The South thought that during the war Great Britain would:
a) Give it a lot of aid
b) Substantially help the North
c) Help both sides
d) Remain neutral
3) This region did not need a draft because there were enough volunteers to fight:
4) African Americans accounted for what share of the Union Army by war's end?
a) 2 percent
b) 4 percent
c) 8 percent
d) 10 percent
5) Which was the bloodiest single-day battle in U.S. history?
a) Battle of Gettysburg
b) Battle of Antietam
c) Battle of Vicksburg
d) First Battle of Manassas
6) Which two states, in order, had the most and second most battles in the Civil War?
a) Virginia, Pennsylvania
b) Tennessee, Virginia
c) Virginia, Tennessee
d) Virginia, Georgia
7) Most of the deaths in the Civil War were caused by:
a) Battle wounds
d) A and C
8) Which two of these states joined the Confederacy?
Source: Post reporting
1-c; 2-a (Britain stayed neutral); 3-d; 4-d; 5-b (Antietam, Sept. 17, 1862, an estimated 23,000 soldiers were killed and wounded); 6-c (Virginia had almost 125; Tennessee, almost 40); 7-b (More than 600,000 died in all); 8-c and d