Federal Prosecutors Will Retry Former Navy Commander on Fraud Charges
Friday, May 1, 2009; 5:38 PM
Federal prosecutors said today that they will retry a former Navy commander on charges that he lied about injuries he suffered during the 2001 terrorist attack on the Pentagon to collect more than $300,000 from a victims' fund.
A jury last month acquitted Charles E. Coughlin of Severna Park on three mail fraud charges but deadlocked on charges of theft of public money, filing a false claim and two counts of mail fraud. The jury also deadlocked on a theft charge against Coughlin's wife, Sabrina. Prosecutors said they intend to retry Sabrina Coughlin, too.
U.S. District Judge Henry H. Kennedy Jr. set a June 8 trial date.