Sunday, May 17, 2009
TURKEY POINT LIGHT STATION
Turkey Point Light Station stands sentinel on a bluff 100 feet above the Chesapeake.
Elk Neck State Park at the south end of Turkey Point Road, North East, Md., 410-287-8170, http://www.tpls.org.
CONCORD POINT LIGHTHOUSE
The first keeper of Concord Point Lighthouse was John O'Neill, who defended Havre de Grace from the British in 1812.
700 Concord St., Havre de Grace, 410-939-3213, http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=411.
SEVEN FOOT KNOLL LIGHTHOUSE
Seven Foot Knoll Lighthouse, originally installed on a shoal in the Patapsco River in 1855, is the oldest surviving screwpile in Maryland. In 1989, it was moved to Baltimore's Inner Harbor and is now part of the Historic Ships in Baltimore.
Pier 5, 701 E. Pratt St., Baltimore, 410-396-3453, http://www.baltomaritimemuseum.org.
Lightship Chesapeake, which guided watercraft from 1930 to 1971, is spending its retirement on the docks of downtown Baltimore.
501 E. Pratt St., Baltimore, 410-396-3453, http://www.baltomaritimemuseum.org.
SANDY POINT SHOAL LIGHTHOUSE
Sandy Point Shoal Lighthouse, a caisson sitting offshore, is visible from the Sandy Point State Park beach and the Bay Bridge.
Sandy Point State Park at the western terminus of the Bay Bridge, off U.S. routes 50/301, Anne Arundel County, 410-974-2149, http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/southern/sandypoint.html or http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=424.
DRUM POINT LIGHTHOUSE
The Calvert Marine Museum's restored Drum Point Lighthouse is a hexagonal, cottage-style screwpile marker built in 1883.
Calvert Marine Museum, 14200 Solomons Island Rd., Solomons, Md., 410-326-2042, http://www.calvertmarinemuseum.com.
POINT LOOKOUT LIGHTHOUSE
Built in 1830, Point Lookout Lighthouse is a keeper's duplex topped with a cupola that once held a bright lantern.
Point Lookout State Park, south end of Point Lookout Road, Scotland, Md., 301-872-5688, http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/southern/pointlookout.html or http://www.pllps.org.