U.S. Citizens Need Passport to Re-Enter Country

  Enlarge Photo     Buy Photo
Sunday, May 31, 2009

Pack your passport, because the time finally has arrived: Starting tomorrow, in order to reenter the United States from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean (17 nations), adult U.S. citizens traveling by land or sea will have to carry a passport, passport card or other document approved by the Department of Homeland Security. This is the second phase of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative; the first portion, implemented in January 2007, covered travel by air. Children younger than 16 can present their birth certificate or other proof of U.S. citizenship. For more information: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html.

© 2009 The Washington Post Company