» This Story:Read +|Watch +| Comments

50-Year-Old Mark Martin Makes History at Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Associated Press
Sunday, July 26, 2009

INDIANAPOLIS, July 25 -- So excited for last year's race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Mark Martin predicted victory six weeks before the event.

This Story

His ability to forecast the future ultimately fell flat, as Martin finished 11th in a race that was ruined by a Goodyear debacle and dictated by the cautions NASCAR had to call every 10 to 12 laps to prevent dangerous tire failures.

Martin has a chance at redemption Sunday, when the 50-year-old racer will become the oldest driver in Indianapolis' 100-year history to start from the pole. But he refused to make another Babe Ruth-style statement about his prospects.

"I'm not even thinking about it," Martin said after posting a lap at 182.054 mph in Saturday's qualifying.

"I prefer not to think about what possible result could be tomorrow," he said. "I can tell you I think it's gonna be a dogfight for this race. I really do. I'd like to be in the fray. That's about as far as I'll go thinking about it."

Martin blew away Juan Pablo Montoya, winner of the 2000 Indianapolis 500, for the pole. Running a retro Target paint scheme that duplicates his Indy 500 car, Montoya qualified second with a lap at 180.803.

Montoya has always been good at Indy -- he also raced on the track in Formula One -- and many competitors have predicted he'll contend for his first win of the season on Sunday. But he's also clinging to a spot in the Chase for the championship, and Montoya has raced cautiously all season in an effort to earn one of the 12 berths.

He'd rather settle for a strong points showing than do something stupid in pursuit of a victory, and insisted that won't change with a win on the line Sunday.

"I think here, the way the track is, I think overtaking is really hard," he said. "So we'll see. We'll do what we can, pick our winning and losing. If we have a good stop, clean track ahead of us, we'll go. If we're in traffic, be smart about it, take our time."

Dale Earnhardt Jr. battled back from a brutal stomach virus to qualify third -- his best effort since Lance McGrew took over as crew chief seven races ago.

Earnhardt was plagued with a high fever and vomiting when he arrived in Indianapolis, and he wanted Brad Keselowski on standby in case he needs a relief driver on Sunday. But rain delayed qualifying Saturday, and Keselowski ran out of time to get a required practice lap in Earnhardt's car before he had to be at nearby O'Reilly Raceway Park to prepare for the Nationwide Series race.

"He's not going to be able to come out here, so we're going to have to man up and not have a backup plan. That's all right," Earnhardt said. "We'll see how it goes. It was a 24-hour stomach bug. I guess I lost a bunch of fluids during that whole deal. I feel fine now. I just got to get fluids back in me."

Bill Elliott, the 2002 winner at the Brickyard, qualified fourth and was followed by David Reutimann, Brian Vickers, two-time Indianapolis winner Tony Stewart and Kasey Kahne. Reed Sorenson and Clint Bowyer rounded out the top 10. Sterling Marlin, Max Papis and Derrike Cope failed to qualify.

Martin heads into Sunday's event with a series-best four victories this season.


» This Story:Read +|Watch +| Comments
© 2009 The Washington Post Company

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity