Thursday, August 20, 2009
Gov. Timothy M. Kaine (D) said that he will extend Wednesday's deadline for family members and survivors of the Virginia Tech massacre to offer suggested corrections to the previously closed investigation.
More than 60 family members and survivors had requested that the investigatory panel reconvene after gunman Seung Hui Cho's missing mental health records surfaced in the home of the former director of the university's counseling center. Kaine said he would not reconvene the panel but would allow families to make suggested changes.
"I think it's very likely that once the Cho records become public, there might be family members who want to weigh in with a few more suggested corrections, and obviously that's fine," he told reporters. "We're committed to doing a thorough job and making the corrections the factual data would warrant."
-- Anita Kumar