By Nelson Hernandez
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, September 1, 2009; B02
The Prince George's County school system has issued class schedules to all but a handful of its 41,000 high school students, officials said Monday evening, declaring an end to a crisis in which thousands were stranded in auditoriums, gyms and cafeterias during the first week of class because of problems with a new computer system.
The 8,000 students who began the year with incorrect or partial class schedules are now in their correct classes, school system spokeswoman Tanzi West Barbour wrote in a statement. Twenty students at DuVal High School in Lanham still do not have appropriate class schedules, but they registered late for school and were not part of the original group, she wrote.
"I applaud the principals, schedulers and PGCPS staff members who worked around the clock last week and over the weekend to bring this urgent issue to a close," Superintendent William R. Hite Jr. said in the statement.
To make up for the time lost last week, Prince George's is offering voluntary extended classes for affected students through Sept. 15. Students also may attend weekend walk-in clinics that will be offered for a month beginning Sept. 12.
Over the summer, school officials struggled to iron out bugs in SchoolMax, a computer system that Prince George's is using for scheduling for the first time. Hite has said he did not know the scope of the problem until the opening of school. To get students into classrooms last week, many schools handed out temporary paper schedules.
Parents of high school students who have been enrolled since the first day and who are still missing schedules are asked to contact the office of the deputy superintendent at 301-952-6011 or the Prince George's High School Consortium at 301-583-1600.