Man Dies After Shooting at Recently Vandalized Prince George's, Md., House

By Matt Zapotosky
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, September 4, 2009

A man was fatally shot Thursday at a house in the Forestville area of Prince George's County that had recently been vandalized.

At 11:20 a.m., police were called to the house, in the 3700 block of Forestville Road, where they found a man who had been shot. He was taken to a nearby hospital, where he died, police said. Police did not release his name pending notification of relatives.

The circumstances of the shooting were unclear. Neighbors reported hearing what sounded like construction noises coming from the house. A woman who said she is the fiancee of the man who lives in the house told a reporter that a person working there was shot but that it was unclear why.

She said the house had twice been targeted by vandals in recent months, and she had posted security camera video of the incidents on YouTube. The video shows young men breaking windows.

Other people working in the area said they saw a man with dreadlocks standing in the front yard just after 11 a.m. Police said they were looking for a suspect who loosely matched that description, but they did not provide a name.

"It was weird. . . . You don't see nobody walking on his property," said Kenneth Edelin, 47, of Southwest Washington, who works at a nearby sporting goods store and walked by the house just after 11 a.m.

The occupant's fiancee said the property is a home and business, but she declined to say what sort of business. "Private property" signs are posted in the yard and indicate that the house is under video surveillance.

Frances Payne, 78, who lives on nearby Suit Road, said shootings are uncommon in the area, where there are several businesses, including a Shell gas station and a NAPA auto parts store.

"Once in a while I like a little excitement, but nothing like this," Payne said. "It's usually a very quiet neighborhood."

© 2009 The Washington Post Company