John Moore of Arlington County Dies After Being Hit by a Metro Train

By Martin Weil
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Metro employee who was struck by a train last week died Monday, becoming the most recent fatality in a series of tragic events afflicting the system's operations in recent months.

John Moore, 44, of Arlington County, a communications technician, died four days after being hit by a train between the National Airport and Braddock Road stations, Metro said.

Moore was the third Metro employee to die on the job since the June 22 Red Line crash in which a train operator and eight passengers were killed. In addition, a subcontractor was electrocuted at a Metro bus garage.

In Thursday's accident, Metro said a preliminary investigation indicated that Moore had walked down a staircase in a vent shaft in an underground section of the track between the two stations.

He opened a door that offered access to the area of the track bed where trains operate and was struck, according to a statement Metro released late Monday.

Precise details of how Moore came to be struck remain unknown and are under investigation, Metro said. Federal officials are investigating the Red Line crash, and Metro's inquiry into the August death of Michael Nash, a track maintenance worker, is underway. The National Transportation Safety Board also has been notified of last week's incident.

"We are saddened to learn of Mr. Moore's passing," Metro General Manager John B. Catoe Jr. said in the Metro statement. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends."

Efforts to locate Moore's relatives Monday night were unsuccessful.

Jackie L. Jeter, president of the union that represents most of Metro's train and bus operators, said Moore's family "has asked us to respect their privacy."

The family representative with whom she had met earlier was a brother, she said.

She was reached within two or three hours of the death being reported by Metro and said it "would be premature" for her to comment.

In its statement, Metro said Moore was a communications technician in Metro's Track, Structures and System Maintenance Office. He was hired by Metro on Dec. 30, 1996.

CONTINUED     1        >

© 2009 The Washington Post Company