Page 2 of 2   <      

Mike Easton Takes Main Event in Split Decision

Saturday night's card, which drew 5,128, was appropriately named "Redemption" in that it doled out several other second chances besides Easton's shot at Beebe: After a fairly uneventful pro debut victory in February, Annandale resident Iman "Mannie" Achhal (2-0), a formerly homeless female fighter from Morocco, made her second professional appearance at Patriot Center and defeated Sumie Sakai (2-3-1) -- a former pro wrestler from Japan. Timothy "Reshad" Woods (5-2), a 33-year-old resident of Sterling, kept his UFC and Strikeforce aspirations alive by rebounding from his April loss with a complete dismantling and domination of Ryan "The Rhino" Sturdy (11-4-1). Woods unleashed a series of knees, elbows and hard right hands as he opened Sturdy's left eye in the first round, delivered a flying knee to Sturdy's chin in the second and then dropped him 36 seconds into the third round with a knee to the face for a technical knockout victory.

"A couple of times I was cautious because I thought I was going to get taken down," said Woods, who lost his last fight on the ground. "But then I started picking him apart."

Woodbridge native Kris "Savage" McCray came out swinging hard against previously undefeated Brazilian Jiu Jitsu black belt Igor "The Legend" Almeida (5-1-1), pinned Almeida into a corner of the hexagon and then powered his way through a flurry of hooks that brutalized Almeida's face and forced a stoppage. It was McCray's second straight first-round victory, making him a rising UWC star.

"Once I saw he was down and dizzy, I wanted to finish him right there," said McCray, a 184-pounder.

Achhal (2-0) survived a knee to the head in the first round and then grinded out the rest of her fight by controlling Sakai on the ground and landing a series of body and facial hammer-fists that forced a stoppage with 2:30 left in the second round.

John Dodson (12-5) started his destruction of Pat Runez (7-0) in the second round of their flyweight championship fight, dropping Runez with a mean left hook, then devastating him with knees, elbows and more for the final three minutes of that round before Runez rallied back to win the final three rounds with a relentless pursuit and series of quick take downs and combinations that won him a decision and belt.

"I'm just going to enjoy the belt while I got it," said Runez, who recovered quickly after he appeared to suffer a flash knockout in the first round as he fell face down on to the canvas after eating one of Dodson's sharp left hooks. "Hopefully after this fight, some of the flyweights are going to look at this and hopefully want to enter [UWC]. Hopefully I can continue to rise."

In their sixth card at Patriot Center, organizers took a less local approach than they have in the past, welcoming fighters from 10 different states, including Georgia, New Jersey, Kentucky, Florida, Arizona, Illinois, New Mexico, Virginia and Maryland and the District.

Saturday night's card was streamed live at and was available on pay-per-view on UWC's Web site.

<       2

© 2009 The Washington Post Company