8 U.S. Troops Killed in Siege of Afghan Outpost
Monday, October 5, 2009
KABUL, Oct. 4 -- U.S. commanders had been planning since late last year to abandon the small combat outpost in mountainous eastern Afghanistan where eight U.S. soldiers died Saturday in a fierce insurgent assault.
The pullout, part of a strategy of withdrawing from sparsely populated areas where the United States lacks the troops to expel Taliban forces and to support the local Afghan government, has been repeatedly delayed by a shortage of cargo helicopters, Afghan politics and military bureaucracy, U.S. military officials said.
The attack began in the early morning hours. Taliban-linked militiamen struck from the high ground using rifles, grenades and rockets against the outpost, a cluster of stone buildings set in a small Hindu Kush valley that has been manned by 140 U.S. and Afghan forces. By the end of a day-long siege, eight Americans and two Afghan security officers were dead, marking the highest toll for U.S. forces in over a year.
The deaths brought into stark relief the dilemma the Obama administration faces in Afghanistan. Without more soldiers and supplies, the Taliban and allied insurgents are gaining ground, but committing more forces could sink the country deeper into an increasingly deadly and unpopular war.
Several U.S. soldiers were injured in the attack, Rear Adm. Gregory J. Smith, a U.S. military spokesman, said Sunday, but he did not specify the number. The province's deputy police chief, Mohammad Farouq, said more than 20 Afghan soldiers and police had disappeared since the fighting began and may have been taken hostage. A Taliban spokesman said the district police chief and the intelligence chief were among the hostages.
The fighting came on a day when poor weather limited visibility. The insurgents struck from positions in a mosque, village buildings and hillside positions above the outpost, which is in the Kamdesh area of Nurestan province. Surrounded by enemy fighters and under heavy fire, U.S. soldiers called in ground reinforcements, along with attack helicopters, airplanes and surveillance drones. U.S. forces eventually repelled the attack while inflicting "a significant amount of casualties" on insurgents, Smith said. "Virtually everything that could be thrown at it was thrown at it."
Due to the "very challenging terrain," the insurgents had effective firing positions, Smith said. "It was obviously a very, very difficult day."
A Taliban spokesman, Zabiullah Mujahid, claimed responsibility for the attack. "If the Americans want to increase their troops, we will increase our fighters as well," Mujahid said by telephone.
Another American died in a separate attack in eastern Afghanistan on Saturday, bringing the day's total to nine.
The violence on Saturday, in its severity and geography, mirrored an onslaught in an adjacent valley of Nurestan province in July 2008. About 200 insurgents attacked an American outpost in Wanat, killing nine U.S. soldiers and wounding 27 in one of the bloodiest battles of the war for U.S. forces.
The military investigations into what went wrong that day helped precipitate a war-strategy assessment that led to the decision to pull some troops from rural areas dominated by insurgents and to move them into larger cities and towns. The move was in line with the counterinsurgency approach of Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal, the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, of trying to protect population centers.
In addition to 50 U.S. soldiers, about 90 Afghan army and police personnel were stationed at the base, which was set up several years ago to try to stop fighters moving into the country from Pakistan. But the insurgents learned long ago to maneuver around the outpost, and U.S. troops there said they had not detained anyone in months.