Woods withdraws from own tournament
Tuesday, December 1, 2009
Citing the injuries he suffered in a one-car crash Thanksgiving night, Tiger Woods on Monday canceled plans to give a news conference Tuesday, pulled out of a golf tournament this weekend and announced he would not play again in 2009.
Woods has not appeared in public and has declined to speak to investigators since he drove into a fire hydrant and neighbor's tree just past the driveway of his mansion in an exclusive, gated community southeast of Orlando in the wee hours of Friday.
Woods was scheduled to give an afternoon press conference in Thousand Oaks, Calif., to promote this weekend's $5.75 million Chevron World Challenge, an event Woods owns, and which benefits his foundation. He said in a statement Sunday he had cuts, bruises and soreness from the accident he described as "embarrassing."
"I am extremely disappointed that I will not be at my tournament this week," Woods said on his Web site, http:/
The Florida Highway Patrol, meantime, continued its investigation of the single-car accident that left Woods with a bloody mouth and briefly unconscious, according to police. The accident occurred at 2:25 a.m. Friday, and Woods's wife, Elin Nordegren, told police she heard the crash from inside, rushed out and used a golf club to smash a back window to pull her husband of five years out.
Highway patrol spokeswoman Kim Montes said charges in the case were pending.
Woods declined for the third time Sunday to speak with troopers, who were met at the door of his $2.4 million mansion in the exclusive Isleworth community just outside of Windermere by high-profile criminal attorney Mark NeJame. NeJame gave the officers Woods's driver's license information, registration and proof of insurance but told them the interview was canceled.
Woods on his Web site Sunday described the wreck of his black Cadillac Escalade as a "private matter." He also said, "although I understand there is curiosity, the many false, unfounded and malicious rumors that are currently circulating about my family and me are irresponsible."
Two days before the crash, the National Enquirer reported that Woods had been having an affair with a New York city cocktail waitress, who has denied the charge to the Associated Press. That story, the unusual hour and circumstances of the crash, and Woods's unwillingness to meet with authorities have fueled wild speculation about what caused the accident and Woods's injuries.
Without Woods this weekend, the Chevron World Challenge will feature U.S. Open champion Lucas Glover, British Open winner Stewart Cink and PGA Championship winner Y.E. Yang.
"We support Tiger's decision and are confident the strong field and excellent course will provide an exciting week of competition at the Chevron World Challenge," said Greg McLaughlin, president and chief executive of the Tiger Woods Foundation.
The release noted that Woods would not participate in any other tournaments in 2009 and would return to action next year.