Page 5 of 5   <      

The party crashers: Turmoil in the White House

Michaele and Tareq Salahi, a couple from Northern Virginia, are at the center of a controversy after they gained admission, uninvited, to a White House state dinner on Nov. 24, 2009.

One guest, who requested anonymity to speak about an incident embarrassing to the White House, said he stood behind the Salahis in line as they proceeded through the second checkpoint, and told the officer, "You should have a helmet with a little flashlight on your head; it's hard to see."

Only one layer of security remained between the couple and access to the president. Inside the White House, the Salahis waited for their turn to pass through a magnetometer monitored by a half-dozen uniformed members of the Secret Service, according to the couple's statement. According to one guest in line, the couple struck up a conversation with CBS News anchor Katie Couric and boyfriend Brooks Perlin. Just small talk, according to the guest, but several members of the committee said they considered the chat a tactic to ease the Salahis' way through the last filter. The eyewitness in line said no one at that last screening checked the Salahis' names against a list.

The Salahis had gained entrance to the White House, and not a single staffer from the social secretary's office had laid eyes on them.

Checks and balances

The security system used to have checks and balances. Planning for a major event inside the White House, according to veteran Secret Service agents, usually included a deputy or at least an assistant to the special agent in charge of the Presidential Protective Division. According to former White House staffer Hargraves, planning meetings often occurred the day before an event, and everyone involved would do a tedious step-by-step walk-through, raising logistical and security concerns. Ultimately, the social secretary, who "was there 99 percent of the time," would approve the plan, Hargraves said. The White House declines to comment about any planning meeting -- even whether one took place.

The state dinner was the Obamas' opportunity to define on a grand social stage the elegance, openness and competence the new president promised to bring to Washington. And so former Secret Service officials were bewildered, several said, that the social secretary's office failed to do the minimum by stationing its own staff at the entrances.

The Secret Service resentment isn't reserved for its own ranks. "A secretary, or a person who is only at the White House for a limited time, perhaps as little as a single presidential term, is allowed to dictate orders to our superiors," lamented one former officer who served under the previous administration and did not want to be identified when criticizing the White House.

"Part of what keeps things working in the residence is keeping things rote so people are repeating the same procedures over and over," said Lea Berman, who served as social secretary for George W. Bush.

"If I were working a dinner with that many people, I would not have been the only one down there," said Hargraves, who added that she suspected the Secret Service was getting a raw deal. "They just go out of their way to accommodate us, and I feel bad it all has come down on them. There is plenty of blame to go around."

Hargraves said that she had nothing against Rogers personally and that all social secretaries have their own style.

Rogers has telegraphed her intention to break with the detail-oriented tradition and treat her position as that of a big-picture CEO instead of an event planner focused on china and flowers.

At a lunch at Cafe Milano with about a half-dozen social reporters in February, Rogers said her mission was to open the White House to new people. "She said it wasn't just going to be all VIPs and senators," said one attendee, who requested anonymity because it was an off-the-record meeting. "She said she was going to be more inclusive." Rep. Peter King (N.Y.), ranking Republican on the House Homeland Security Committee, has argued that subpoenaing Rogers is necessary to understand what occurred at the meeting that he believes led to the security breach.

"We still don't know what went on at that meeting," King said. "Why was this decision made?"

"I think we must hear from all sides in this matter," said Pennsylvania Rep. Christopher Carney, the only Democrat who voted to subpoena Rogers, in a statement to The Post. "This was a serious security breach, yet so far we have heard only one-third of the story."

Mingling at the state dinner

Once inside the White House, the Salahis freely sauntered down the East Colonnade, where, around 7:30 p.m., a uniformed military aide asked the couple how to pronounce their names and announced them to photographers and the assembled media in the Bookseller's area as Mr. and Mrs. Salahi. A few reporters recognized the couple and tittered about the aspiring reality-TV stars.

Their appearance so surprised Post reporter Roxanne Roberts that she immediately asked Courtney O'Donnell, the communications director for Jill Biden, to verify the couple's identity and asked why they weren't on a printed guest list released to the press. O'Donnell, who was wrangling reporters that evening, said she would try to find out.

Shapiro, the White House spokesperson, offered a different version of events.

He said O'Donnell's assignment that night was to handle logistics and movements of the press corps, not to oversee or deal with guests. "She told Roberts that she did not have that information," Shapiro said. "And that the question should be directed to the first lady's office."

About 15 minutes later, Katie McCormick-Lelyveld, Michelle Obama's press secretary, told reporters that all the guests had arrived and it was time to head back to the press room. It was a hectic scene, with a scrum of reporters asking her about the first lady's gown. In the middle of the fashion queries, Roberts asked about the couple: Were they Tareq and Michaele Salahi and, if so, why weren't they on the guest list? At that point, no reporters suspected the couple had crashed the party, and Roberts's question to the press aides did not suggest a security breach.

Shapiro said that McCormick-Lelyveld told Roberts she would look into it and asked Roberts to e-mail her. After deadline, roughly three hours later, Roberts followed up with that e-mail.

In the meantime, the Salahis followed the foot traffic. According to Best, the Salahis' attorney, the couple didn't see a table where guests picked up calligraphied place cards, climbed the stairs, mingled in the East Room and proceeded to the presidential reception line. In the Blue Room, a tuxedoed official standing next to the president asked for their official name card, at which point Tareq presented an America Polo's Cup business card, according to Best. The official introduced the couple to Obama, and they shook the president's hand. They then walked downstairs and draped their arms over Vice President Biden and Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel in an elegantly tented dining room erected outside the residence.

In the couple's telling, Michaele began to feel ill just shy of 9 p.m., which, as it happens, is when the invited guests took their seats. According to a staffer on the House Homeland Security Committee, an eyewitness reported the Salahis "causing a scene" by claiming "somebody was sick at home and it was a medical emergency." The Salahis statement said the couple turned to the White House usher, Rear Adm. Stephen Rochon, for help getting out -- a detail confirmed by a White House official speaking on background.

The couple then walked across Lafayette Square to the Hay-Adams Hotel for drinks and, at 9:08 p.m., a message -- "Honored to be at the White House for the state dinner in honor of India with President Obama and our First Lady!" -- popped up on their joint Facebook account.

At about 11:45 p.m., the Salahis called Mitchell, their limo driver, and said they were still inside the White House, but could be at the gate in 10 minutes. Mitchell said he picked them up at the southeast gate at 15th Street and drove them home.

"They were excited," Mitchell said. "They just had a great night at the White House."

In the early hours of Nov. 25, the Salahis e-mailed a thank you to Jones, the Pentagon official. "You are an Angel!" the couple wrote at 1:03 a.m. "We ended up going to the gate to check in at 6:30pm to just check, in case it got approved since we didn't know, and our name was indeed on the list!" At 2:04 a.m., they uploaded 12 photos under the label "White House State Dinner." At 7:57 a.m., Tareq responded to a Washington Post reporter's message sent via Facebook asking how he got in. "It was last-minute attending," he wrote.

By that point, the White House had gone into damage-control mode. At 9:30 a.m., salon owner Gomez received a call from a longtime client seeking Michaele's cellphone number on behalf of Rogers.

At 1:12 p.m., roughly 18 hours after the initial notification of the Salahis' attendance, a White House official confirmed, "They weren't invited."

Avalanche of questions

The embarrassing news quickly spread across blogs and onto front pages. The breach made splashy headlines in Indian newspapers. Right-wing fringe sites attempted to cast the Salahis as a nexus between radical Palestinian causes and Obama ("indicative of anti-Israeli sentiment deep within the recesses of the Obama administration," read a post on FreshConservative). Republican members of Congress, seeking to score political points, argued that the incident demonstrated the Obama administration was soft on national security.

On Nov. 27, three days after the dinner, the Secret Service showed up at the Oasis Winery in Hume, owned by Tareq's parents, but did not connect with the couple until around 3:30 p.m. at the Sheraton Hotel in Tysons Corner. The Salahis asked an attorney friend of theirs to come to the interview, which, according to an affidavit signed by that attorney and now in the possession of the Salahis' lawyers and the Secret Service, was broken up by Gardner, their entertainment lawyer.

Gardner called Jones, the Defense Department official, for a speakerphone conversation in which Tareq stated he understood he had been invited to the arrival or receiving-line ceremony. According to the affidavit, seen by The Post, in that conversation, "Ms. Jones never indicated that Mr. Salahi was either incorrect or mistaken in any statements made on the call," and "she stated, effectively, that this was a big misunderstanding."

Jones has declined repeated calls for comment.

Hours later, on Friday evening, the vacuum in the week's news cycle into which bad news is often dumped, the Secret Service agency issued a White House-coordinated statement from agency Director Sullivan accepting full blame. A Secret Service official alerting reporters to the statement characterized it as "falling on our swords." The White House then released a photo showing Michaele Salahi holding the president's hand, with Rogers mingling in the adjacent room in the background.

On Nov. 30, Jones said, "I am not going to say anything at this point at all. Oh, my goodness," when a Post reporter asked about her connection to the Salahis. Later that day, press secretary Robert Gibbs faulted the Secret Service for failing to call the social secretary's office for help. That evening the White House released a statement from Jones: "I did not state at any time, or imply that I had tickets for ANY portion of the evening's events."

By Dec. 2, the White House had had enough. Deputy Chief of Staff and administration fixer Jim Messina released a memo assigning responsibility to the Secret Service but also saying White House staff will be "stationed physically at the check points with the United States Secret Service" and "guests whose names are not on the guest list will be assisted by White House staff present at the check point for appropriate resolution."

Spokespersons for the White House and Secret Service reiterated that the security agency and the administration successfully work together on hundreds of events a year, and that the agents and officers undoubtedly are committed to serving their country and president.

"Enhancements will be implemented and any conceivable potential vulnerability will be resolved," said Secret Service spokesman Edwin M. Donovan.

Shapiro added that the internal White House review showed "we believe that we can do more, and we are doing more. White House staff is now physically stationed at the checkpoints with Secret Service officers."

On Dec. 3, the Homeland Security Committee's Democratic majority sought to shield the White House and not explore the intrigue about the role of Rogers, whom they refused to subpoena. Sullivan, while acknowledging that "it would have helped" to have had the assistance of Rogers's team at the checkpoints, stated that his agency "agreed" with the decision during the mysterious meeting, and accepted full blame for the security lapse.

In a subsequent executive meeting with lawmakers that was closed to the press, Sullivan guaranteed that the Salahis would be arrested, according to one attendee at the meeting who was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly. In the weeks since, Obama has said he was "unhappy with everybody who was involved," and King, the GOP leader of the committee, has demanded in vain to hear from Rogers directly and to learn any details about the meeting he believes is crucial to the security breach. As a last resort, he has sent -- and made public -- a letter to Rogers asking whether White House policy "interfered with, countermanded, or in any way conflicted with security considerations?" and filed a Freedom of Information Act request for materials related to the dinner.

His Democratic counterpart, who has final say in the matter, remains unmoved.

"I don't think that created the breach, in my mind," Thompson said of the meeting. "The Secret Service has identified the problem."

Staff writer Amy Argetsinger contributed to this article.

TUESDAY: The Tareq and Michaele love story.

<                5

© 2009 The Washington Post Company