washingtonpost.com
Leonsis, Pollin firm at odds on purchase of Wizards

Friday, January 29, 2010; A18

ENTERTAINMENT

Pollin's firm, Leonsis at odds on Wizards

Washington Capitals owner Ted Leonsis said he offered one of the highest prices ever for a National Basketball Association team in his negotiations to take full ownership of the Washington Wizards and Verizon Center from the estate of the late Abe Pollin.

In making his first public comments about the negotiations, in his blog at tedstake.com, the former AOL mogul asserted that he has exclusive rights to pursue a deal and pointed out that his Lincoln Holdings company already owns 44 percent of Washington Sports and Entertainment, the Pollin holding company that owns the remaining 56 percent of the Wizards, Verizon Center and the local Ticketmaster franchise.

Pollin's company told employees this week that no exclusive right exists. Leonsis said he was surprised by that announcement.

-- Thomas Heath

EARNINGS

Mild autumn chills Dominion profit

Power company Dominion Resources said its fourth-quarter profit fell 53 percent, hurt by warmer-than-normal weather in the fall and higher costs from unplanned outages at its power generating stations. The Richmond-based company earned $165 million, compared with $348 million a year earlier. Revenue fell 22 percent, to $3.3 billion.

-- Associated Press

Under Armour profit jumps 83 percent

Baltimore sports-gear maker Under Armour said stronger sales lifted its fourth-quarter profit 83 percent, to $15.2 million from $8.3 million a year earlier. Revenue rose 24 percent, to $222.2 million.

-- Associated Press

Danaher falls 13% on interest expenses

Danaher said its fourth-quarter earnings fell 13 percent, to $266.9 million from $305.7 million a year earlier. Revenue fell just over 1 percent, to $3.13 billion. The District-based medical and industrial equipment maker was stung primarily by higher interest expenses, which rose $10 million, to $35.4 million.

-- Associated Press

Post a Comment


Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions. You are fully responsible for the content that you post.

© 2010 The Washington Post Company