» This Story:Read +|Watch +|Talk +| Comments

Carbon monoxide taking a toll on snowbound without power

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
By Matt Zapotosky and Allison Klein
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The families were just trying to keep warm. Snowbound and without power in their homes, they turned to what seemed like a good alternative: gas-fueled generators.

This Story
View All Items in This Story
View Only Top Items in This Story

The problem, fire officials said, is that the families ran the generators (and, in one case, a charcoal grill) inside. Pretty soon they were short of breath, throwing up and fading in and out of consciousness. The appliances they thought would keep them safe and comfortable were pumping dangerous levels of carbon monoxide into their homes.

During and immediately after the weekend's storm, at least 19 people, including nine children, were taken to hospitals to be treated for carbon-monoxide poisoning. There have been at least three such incidents in Prince George's and Montgomery counties.

Also in Prince George's, two people were found dead inside a car in Bladensburg with its tailpipe blocked by ice and snow -- a sign that it was not expelling carbon monoxide properly, authorities said. A third person was found under similar circumstances in Greenbelt, authorities said.

"Not only is it colorless and odorless and tasteless, people don't understand it," said Prince George's County Fire Chief Eugene A. Jones. "People just don't understand the consequences of breathing in something that they can't see, taste or smell."

Carbon monoxide displaces oxygen in the environment and red blood cells, preventing the cells from using the oxygen, said Maj. Dennis Wood, who heads emergency medical services in Prince George's. In well-ventilated areas, it can escape outdoors without much consequence, but when people start breathing it, it can have serious consequences for their hearts and brains, he said.

Fire officials advise buying a battery-powered CO detector for every floor of your home. They recommend calling authorities immediately if it appears that something inside your house is making you sick. They also say you should keep gas generators and lit charcoal grills outside.

"We cannot stress enough how dangerous it is," said Mark Brady, a Prince George's County Fire/Emergency Medical Services Department spokesman.

An incident involving carbon monoxide occurred Sunday night in the 7900 block of Hart Road in Oxon Hill, authorities said. Claudia Amaya, 14, said she was with eight family members when the power went out about 5:30 p.m. Because Amaya's 2-year-old brother was in the house, the family decided to use a gas-powered generator, keeping it running in the garage, Amaya said. Pretty soon, she was feeling odd.

"My chest kind of felt tight, like I couldn't breathe, and it was hurting, and my head was hurting," she said. "We called the ambulance, and he told us to go outside."

Fire officials said they recorded a carbon monoxide reading of 250 parts per million, far above what is considered safe. Amaya and four other family members were taken to the hospital, but all were feeling fine Monday, she said.

Others haven't been as lucky.


CONTINUED     1        >

» This Story:Read +|Watch +|Talk +| Comments

More in the Metro Section

Local Blog Directory

Find a Local Blog

Plug into the region's blogs, by location or area of interest.

Virginia Politics

Blog: Va. Politics

Here's a place to help you keep up with Virginia's overcaffeinated political culture.

D.C. Taxi Fares

D.C. Taxi Fares

Compare estimated zoned and metered D.C. taxi fares with this interactive calculator.

FOLLOW METRO ON:
Facebook Twitter RSS
|
GET LOCAL ALERTS:
© 2010 The Washington Post Company

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity