Robert Kay, Richard H. 'Dickie' Lewis, Jeanne Moulton, Elwood McDaniel, Sylvia Rindskopf, Ira 'Bud' Felperin, William Thompson

Tuesday, March 30, 2010; B08

Robert Kay Scientist

Robert Kay, 87, a scientist who trained as a nuclear physicist and worked for the Navy, General Electric and Hughes Aircraft before retiring in the early 1990s from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, died March 18 at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda. He had pneumonia.

Dr. Kay began working for NOAA in the late 1960s and focused on such matters as nuclear waste disposal and collecting and analyzing satellite and ocean buoy data.

Dr. Kay, a North Bethesda resident, was a native of Syracuse, N.Y., and grew up in the Bronx, N.Y. He was a 1941 mechanical engineering graduate of City College of New York. He received a doctorate in nuclear physics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1953. While working at NOAA, he received a master's degree in computer science from Johns Hopkins University.

During World War II, he served in the Navy as a naval architect and engineer designing landing ships. Fluent in French, he was also responsible for retrofitting U.S. Navy destroyers for use by the Free French navy.

He remained on active duty until 1955 and attained the rank of lieutenant commander. He worked under Adm. Hyman Rickover on the nuclear propulsion system for the submarine Nautilus and helped coordinate an Atomic Energy Commission policy committee whose members included the nuclear scientists Robert Oppenheimer, Hans Bethe and Robert Bacher.

Dr. Kay spent his post-military career with GE on nuclear power projects around the country. He returned to the Washington area in 1962 to help start the technical analysis office of Hughes Aircraft. Just before joining NOAA, he was a science policy adviser to the National Council on Marine Resources and Engineering Development.

He played in bridge tournaments.

Survivors include his wife of 60 years, Lois Emrich Kay of North Bethesda; three children, Doug Kay of Potomac, Karen Kay of Aldie, Va., and Randall Kay of Burlington, Vt.; and four grandchildren.

-- Adam Bernstein

Richard H. 'Dickie' Lewis Lawyer

Richard H. "Dickie" Lewis, 80, a retired Fairfax County trial lawyer, died of congestive heart failure March 20 at his home in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. He had been an Alexandria resident for more than 40 years before retiring to Florida in the mid-1990s.

After Army service during the Korean War, Mr. Lewis graduated from law school at the College of William & Mary in Williamsburg and opened a private practice in a building opposite the Fairfax County courthouse. Mr. Lewis was selected by his peers to the American College of Trial Lawyers and was a member of the Virginia Bar for more than 50 years.

Richard Henry Lewis, a Washington native, was a graduate of Washington-Lee High School in Arlington County. He was a scholarship football player at William & Mary and was inducted into the college's sports hall of fame in 1952.

His marriage to the former Peggy Derring ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 35 years, the former Diane Harry, of Fort Lauderdale; three children from his first marriage, Susan Casey and Richard H. Lewis Jr., both of Newport News, Va., and John Lewis of Goldsboro, N.C.; two stepchildren, Jennifer Carroll of Bethesda and Christina Canouse of Alpharetta, Ga.; a brother; and nine grandchildren.

-- T. Rees Shapiro

Jeanne B. Moulton Volunteer, Vineyard Owner

Jeanne B. Moulton, 89, who co-founded and operated Glenrose Vineyards in Myersville with her husband in the 1980s, died of lung cancer March 16 at her home in Silver Spring.

Mrs. Moulton was also a homemaker and a volunteer at the Chevy Chase Woman's Club and Holy Redeemer Catholic Church, where she created the special collections for the annual antiques show. As a volunteer at Brookside Gardens, she also created the artwork and the map of the gardens for one of the pamphlets.

Jeanne Brady was born in Bridgeport, Conn., and raised in Washington, where she graduated in 1938 from the Academy of the Holy Cross. She graduated from Radcliffe College and returned to Washington to work for the War Department, translating maps during World War II.

In the 1960s, she worked part time for the Girl Scouts of the United States in a local distribution center, and in the 1970s, she worked for dealers and collectors on Kensington's Antiques Row.

Her husband of 60 years, James F. Moulton, Jr., died in 2004.

Survivors include two children, James Stuart Moulton of Brunswick and Martha Moulton O'Hehir of Annapolis; a sister; five grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

-- Patricia Sullivan

Elwood J. McDaniel Plumber

Elwood J. McDaniel, 81, who founded G.E.M. Plumbing and Heating in West Hyattsville, died March 24 of respiratory failure at Montgomery Hospice's Casey House in Rockville. He had Parkinson's disease.

Mr. McDaniel named the plumbing business with his son's initials. He owned and operated it with his wife for 27 years until retiring in 1986.

Elwood Jackson McDaniel was born in Shenandoah, Va., and came to the Washington area as a boy. After graduating from the old Central High School in 1948, he apprenticed as a plumber and received a master plumber's license.

He was a member of Ager Road United Methodist Church in Hyattsville until retirement, when he moved back to Shenandoah. There, he became a member of Grove Hill United Methodist Church and helped design and build its fellowship hall.

He returned to the Washington area in 2002 and settled at Leisure World in Silver Spring.

Survivors include his wife of 61 years, the former Lillian Billy, of Silver Spring; three children, Gary E. McDaniel and Sandra K. McDaniel, both of Laurel, and Kelly L. Ryan of Columbia; and two grandsons.

-- Emma Brown

Sylvia L. Rindskopf Admiral's Wife

Sylvia L. Rindskopf, 92, who traveled with her husband to naval duty stations around the world, died March 23 of congestive heart failure at BayWoods of Annapolis retirement community.

Mrs. Rindskopf was married in 1941 to Maurice H. "Mike" Rindskopf, who was the Navy's youngest submarine commander in World War II and later was promoted to rear admiral. She joined him on overseas assignments in Panama and Italy and at naval bases throughout the United States, where she mentored other Navy wives and volunteered with the American Red Cross and Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society.

Sylvia Edith Lubow was born in New London, Conn., and was a graduate of what is now Connecticut College. She settled in Severna Park in 1972 and was a volunteer docent at the William Paca House in Annapolis. She enjoyed bridge and golf.

At BayWoods of Annapolis, where she had lived since 2003, Mrs. Rindskopf wrote for the newspaper, the Breeze.

A son, Peter Eric Rindskopf, died in 1971.

Survivors include her husband, of Annapolis; a granddaughter; and two great-grandsons.

-- Matt Schudel

Ira H. 'Bud' Felperin Salesman

Ira H. "Bud" Felperin, 82, a retired senior sales director for Dictograph Security Systems, died March 26 at a hospital in Boynton Beach, Fla. He had dementia and Parkinson's disease.

Mr. Felperin moved to the Washington area in 1949. In the late 1960s, after Air Force service, Mr. Felperin joined Dictograph, which specializes in fire and burglary alarms. He retired in 1992 and moved to Delray Beach, Fla.

Ira Hewitt Felperin was a native of Brooklyn, N.Y., and lived in Mount Rainier and Lewisdale before becoming a Potomac resident.

Survivors include his wife of 61 years, the former Annette Resnick of Delray Beach; three sons, Steve Felperin of Boynton Beach, Joe Felperin of Silver Spring and Rick Felperin of Germantown; six grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

-- T. Rees Shapiro

William Thompson Program Analyst

William Thompson, 70, a retired program analyst at the Government Printing Office, died March 14 at his home in Arlington County after a heart attack.

Mr. Thompson worked for the GPO for more than 44 years before his retirement in 2004. In his last position, he planned meetings for the office's library and coordinated with the library community, convention and visitors bureaus, hoteliers, and other government, business and organization groups.

He was born in Arlington and graduated in 1957 from Hoffman-Boston Junior-Senior High School in Arlington, a school designated for black students in the segregation era. He served for two years in the Army Corps of Engineers and two more years in the Army Reserve.

Mr. Thompson enjoyed music of all kinds, movies, photography, wine-tasting and walking in nature. He loved to travel and had visited most of the 50 states and countries around the world.

He had no immediate survivors.

-- Patricia Sullivan

© 2010 The Washington Post Company