» This Story:Read +|Watch +| Comments
Page 2 of 2   <      

National disaster exercises, called too costly and scripted, may be scaled back

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity

FEMA Administrator W. Craig Fugate acknowledged that the administration has concerns about whether the large-scale exercises need revamping, but said officials are committed to other kinds of drills, particularly those conducted without notice.

This Story

Although the administration is "in lock-step in our continued commitment" to NLEs, he said, "our exercises have to go beyond the large-scale, pre-planned events. We have to do a lot more exercises on a day-to-day basis."

National-level exercises date to 2000, when Congress mandated them to test top government officials' responses to a nuclear, biological or chemical attack. After the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, Bush made the national live exercises the centerpiece of a series of "full-scale, full-system tests" involving 15 scenarios and a constellation of federal, military, state and local agencies.

After Hurricane Katrina, Bush overhauled the program again, increasing the number of exercises, adding a focus on natural disasters and demanding more rigorous follow-up.

Still, the program drew complaints of "exercise fatigue" from many state officials, including Napolitano, who was then the governor of Arizona. In a November 2007 letter to her DHS predecessor, Michael Chertoff, Napolitano said planning for that year's exercise -- which reportedly cost $20 million and involved 26,000 participants -- was "too expensive, too protracted and too removed from a real-world scenario."

Once in her current office, Napolitano talked about streamlining the drills and scaling them back to restore surprise. "When you have months to prepare for an exercise . . . a large part of the exercise's value is lost," she wrote.

In December, DHS abruptly shelved plans to conduct the $15 million exercise in Nevada, a simulated attack that initially had been set on the Las Vegas Strip.

In November, Reid, who faces a tough reelection bid, cited unanimous opposition from the Nevada Chamber of Commerce and lodging and tourism groups.

Two weeks later, FEMA announced it would scale back the exercise to focus on what could be done without state and local participation, settling on a largely Washington-based series of table-top drills and contingency operations. Reid thanked Napolitano for deciding "to cancel this exercise so quickly."

If that decision was related to specific economic and political sensitivities, the debate about next year's earthquake scenario has raised broader questions.

A $30 million planning effort led by FEMA has been based on a disaster that struck the country in the early 1800s: multiple quakes exceeding magnitudes of 7.0 that in rapid succession hit the so-called New Madrid Seismic Zone -- a 200,000-square-mile area over eight states centered around Memphis and St. Louis. A FEMA-funded study predicted that a similar event today would kill or injure 86,000 people, cause $300 billion in losses and cut the nation's "aorta" -- the bridges and pipelines that cross the Ohio and Mississippi rivers.

Kentucky Emergency Manager John W. Heltzel, who is chairman of the eight-state Central United States Earthquake Consortium, objected to FEMA proposals to scale back the exercise, writing to Fugate last month that states "unanimously agreed that we will proceed" with the five-day event.

State officials said the nation's response system must be tested to the breaking point.

"We need to be assured there's a . . . process whereby federal resources get allocated," Tennessee Emergency Management Agency Director James Bassham said in a recent planning conference. "We would hope it's a more businesslike approach than eight governors calling the president."

The Pentagon, which is required to test its disaster response in large exercises, is supporting the states, according to military officials and other emergency planners. When the Las Vegas drill was canceled, the military's Northern Command was forced to look elsewhere to meet its 2010 requirement, which envisioned thousands of troops responding to a terrorist attack.

Timothy Gress, managing director of the University of Illinois' Mid-America Earthquake Center, which produced the FEMA study, said that the passage of time has dimmed Washington's sense of urgency.

"When the project was initiated, Katrina was still very much fresh in their minds," he said. Now, after four years of work planning the earthquake drill, he said, "why wouldn't you want to exercise that plan?"


<       2

» This Story:Read +|Watch +| Comments
© 2010 The Washington Post Company

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity