Army tops Navy, Maryland nips Hopkins in lacrosse

By Christian Swezey
Sunday, April 18, 2010

BALTIMORE -- The 88th Army-Navy men's lacrosse game ended as the football game does, with the losing team's alma mater performed followed by the winning team's.

Navy's alma mater went second, but it was only because of a mistake. It was Army celebrating a 7-6 victory in the first game of the Day of Rivals before 20,911 on Saturday at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore.

In the second game, fourth-ranked Maryland took advantage of two Johns Hopkins penalties in the final seconds of the third quarter to score two extra-man goals early in the fourth quarter, then held on for a 10-9 victory.

Army led 7-6 when Navy sophomore Nikk Davis appeared to tie the game with 37 seconds to play. Davis scored, landed in the crease and dislodged the goal within an instant of each other and not necessarily in that order.

Had it been ruled that the ball went into the goal before Davis landed in the crease or dislodged the goal, the score would have counted.

But two of the three referees ruled that Davis had been in the crease before the ball went into the net. (The third, with the best view of the play, was ready to allow the goal.) Navy was given an extra-man possession but the goal was disallowed.

"Once I saw the flag and the ball went in, I'm not trying to be facetious or a wise guy on this, but usually when you see the flag and the ball's in the goal they count the goal," Navy Coach Richie Meade said.

The selector of referees for the NCAA tournament initially said it was the correct call but after watching two replays he said the goal probably should have counted.

Navy (5-7, 4-2 Patriot League) had two shots after that but one was saved and the other was blocked as time expired.

It was one of 11 blocked shots -- out of 38 total shots -- on a day when both teams were well-prepared for the other team's offense and players were doing anything to get in front of shots never mind that they were sometimes traveling 70 mph or more.

The game came down to a pair of offensive players on each team. Those from Navy -- senior midfielders Joe Lennon and Patrick Moran -- combined for 1-for-16 shooting. Moran, the team leader with 22 goals, went 0 for 11.

Meantime, the pair from Army (6-5, 4-0) -- junior attackman Jeremy Boltus and freshman attackman Garrett Thul -- combined for five goals, including the winning goal by Boltus with 4 minutes 29 seconds left to play. It was the third goal for Boltus.

CONTINUED     1        >

© 2010 The Washington Post Company